Another tuning question

CobraG

Established Member
I've read that getting an actual dyno tune is better than canned tunes. I have some questions about this.
1.) Are canned and "custom" tunes the same thing, or are canned tunes just generic tunes? And custom tunes are written for your specific car with your specific mods?
2.) If you get mail order tunes and have them on a hand held tuner, you have your stock tune as well as other custom tunes available. Where as if you get a dyno tune, that's it, your tune is your tune. Sounds like mail order tunes give you more options, is that correct?
3.) If you get a dyno tune is that it, just the one tune? Do you still need a hand held device?
4.) If your tuner works with data logs is that almost the same as a dyno tune?

Thanks

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I will comment on what I have experience with.
Both of my cars were " custom " tuned.
The car was @ the tuner's shop, the tuner drove the car, the tuner data-logged it, this was done on the street.
After the tuner was happy with what he had on the street, it went on the dyno, for proofing / tweeking.
The results of the finished product, ( tune ), were downloaded to the car & put on a hand held.

Gruca

Established Member
I've read that getting an actual dyno tune is better than canned tunes. I have some questions about this.
1.) Are canned and "custom" tunes the same thing, or are canned tunes just generic tunes? And custom tunes are written for your specific car with your specific mods?

2.) If you get mail order tunes and have them on a hand held tuner, you have your stock tune as well as other custom tunes available. Where as if you get a dyno tune, that's it, your tune is your tune. Sounds like mail order tunes give you more options, is that correct?

3.) If you get a dyno tune is that it, just the one tune? Do you still need a hand held device?

4.) If your tuner works with data logs is that almost the same as a dyno tune?

Thanks

1. Canned tunes are generic. Custom tunes are specific to your car.

2. Any tune you get you will need a hand held tuner of some sort (sct, ngauge, etc). You can always return your stock tune to the car regardless if you get a mail tune or a dyno tune.

3. Still need a hand held, and you can always change tunes later if you decide to get another one, whether it be a dyno tune or a mail tune.

4. A data log is just the tuner’s way to see what your car is doing and tune accordingly. Most tuners will require them for mail tunes. A dyno tune is on a dyno but a good tuner will drive it and tweak if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
unless you're gonna run different fuels (ie 93 and some sort of race gas) you usually one need 1 tune anyway.

As mentioned you always need a handheld device no matter how you get tuned. The tune is written for your specific device (serial number locked) and your handheld is locked to your car. A handheld is always great to have anyway - diagnose/clear a check engine light, data log etc... if there's a problem. If you make changes to the car later you would use the same device to load a new tune to reflect those changes.

so long as the email tuner has you making datalogs including the air fuel ratio the results from email tuning should be very comparable to dyno tuning and an improvement over generic canned tunes.

noldevin

Established Member
You actually don't need a handheld for a lot of dyno tuners btw, check with the tuner first.
Data logging, despite popular belief, is not just as good as dyno tuning. The dyno gives the tuner immediate feedback and allows them to fine tune things like cam timing better than could be done via only datalogging.
The tuner won't have to rely on you going out and datalogging correctly and you won't have to find a spot to speed and do your pulls.
That being said, there's a lot of shady tuners out there so choose wisely.

Users who are viewing this thread