Another TOB

03yellow

Established Member
I purchased a Spec 3 clutch about 2 months ago. The stock TOB was bad when ford replaced the clutch with a spec 3. Yesterday I took the car in and ford replaced the Spec 3 TOB. I asked the ford mechanic about the Spec TOB
He said that he wouldnt trust any part without a name on it<(sounds good). He also stated the the retainer sleeve look great after 2 months of use.

I askedthe mechanic about the Ford TOB; He stated that the Ford TOB is a good bearing and Ford will replace the bearing (labor included) for 12 months.

Usually the TOBs go out within a few months. Its nice to know that if the bearing goes out again, I won;t get stuck with the bill!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Have you done the replacement quadrant/adjuster swap yet?
If not, I would suggest you do it. Eventually Ford is going to stop buying you TOBs.
And if you have done it, or when you do do it, I would recommend the clutch freeplay correction kit from LDC. It will help your TOB live a lot longer.

Read about it here:
http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?t=170779

Dana

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Spec III TOB is a better unit, will not wear out the retainer because it's mostly composite and the bearing and contact surface is stainless steel. Awesome piece.

03yellow

Established Member
Mine is trash after 2 months. As you spin the spec 3 TOB you can see the inner piece is warped, as it goes round like a clock it moves up at 12 o'clock and down at 6 oclock.
Any Ideals what caused this?

Yates...Man said:
Spec III TOB is a better unit, will not wear out the retainer because it's mostly composite and the bearing and contact surface is stainless steel. Awesome piece.

03yellow

Established Member
I like the way my stock cable feels and functions. Can I use it with the stock cable? Will it Help?

Dana said:
Have you done the replacement quadrant/adjuster swap yet?
If not, I would suggest you do it. Eventually Ford is going to stop buying you TOBs.
And if you have done it, or when you do do it, I would recommend the clutch freeplay correction kit from LDC. It will help your TOB live a lot longer.

Read about it here:
http://67.15.62.79/forums/showthread.php?t=170779

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
03yellow said:
I like the way my stock cable feels and functions. Can I use it with the stock cable? Will it Help?

Yes, you can use the kit with the stock cable.

Actually, the stock cable is preferred. Many people have had problems with the aftermarket cables. In fact, the cable is probably the only thing Ford got right out of the whole clutch thing.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread