Another TOB bites the dust.....MOTHERF*CKER!!!!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
WELL.....after hear a cricket under my car for the past 300miles.....that magically disappears when the clutch is pushed in....I finally took the car in tonight. The 3 service guys said they could hear it....but faintly. After driving home frome work, I backed my car into the garage....and the chirp was constant....no longer intermittent. They said they are gonna look at it first thing in the morning.....but they will more than likely atleast replace trhe TOB. The service manager said that ford will probably release a "hardened" bearing with in a year.

No the car has had:

Both front windows replaced
New radiator hose (big mess)
Cracked paint on the hood....repainted
Computer reflash
and now the TOB
.....not bad for only 831 miles:nonono:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-Master
They need to replace the TOB retainer sleeve as well and that will fix it for good.

What if someone wants an aftermarket clutch put on, and TOB...should the retainer sleeve be replaced as well?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I mentioned that there is probably a TSB for it and the service manager said hes aware of it and he'll look into it.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
mike - I think someone posted that piece (3R3Z-7705-AA) was something like $250 or $300, or something like that. (Check the Update on TOB and retainer sleeve thread.) Keep in mind, this is the front adapter plate w/ the sleeve already in it. I don't know if you might be able to just get the sleeve alone.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Nick,
See, I told you it would get worse. LOL. It's actually a pretty minor problem. Getting to it is the only labor intensive part of the repair. Which dealer?

OK, I'll give you my list :

Halfshafts and hubs
Driveshafts [2]
Transmission [broken/replaced]
TOB [2]
Rear end cover [broken/replaced]
Rear end cover [leaking/fixed]
Radiator leaking [cap problem fixed]
80 mph+ vibration [somewhat better after new driveshaft and tires]
Creaking from rear seat area [still there even though dealer says fixed [broken welds?]]
Clinking from pass. side rear brakes [Dealer can't hear it]
Pass. seat rubbing on door [fixed per TSB]
Pulls to right
CDs sometimes get stuck in player
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.
13,000 miles...

Last edited:

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
But ya still love her, right?

Love the Cobra. The power makes up for a lot of complaints. I do sometimes think, however, that tightening up the drivetrain and modifying with stronger parts might be the smarter way to go even if it does void the warranty. I think a lot of my breakage is due to the looseness in the drivetrain. The Terminators have too much power for the IRS.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Oh, and Nicky P. If it makes you feel any better, here's a list of the problems I've had!

Replaced right head for tick. (You want to talk about messes!)
Replaced driveshaft for 80 mph vibe.
Drilled out shock towers to fix pull to right.
Loose front fascia.
Replaced fuel rail pressure sensor.
Replaced (3 times) CV joint boot.
New flywheel, pressure plate, clutch plate, TOB and retainer sleeve.
Squeak in right window.
Squeaking right front brakes.
The clunk.
Paint chips and scratches very easily.

Believe me, you're not alone! If the car wasn't such a blast to drive, I probably would have gotten rid of it a long time ago, LOL! Best of luck. Hope you get er fixed up soon.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
$250!!! Woh. I dont know what im going to do now. Taking my car in to the dealer is out of the question. Even though this TOB didnt last one oil change, I am now pullied, and have an aftermarket clutch quad/firewall adjuster. The pulley is easy, but the firewall adjuster is there for good. So even a new aftermarket TOB will go bad if I dont get this part?

cgg074

Established Member
Originally posted by Nicky P 03 SVT

No the car has had:

Both front windows replaced
New radiator hose (big mess)
Cracked paint on the hood....repainted
Computer reflash
and now the TOB
.....not bad for only 831 miles:nonono:

:lol:

I had a cracked paint on the hood too when I bought it. Somebody did put a lot of pressure closing the hood.
Looks great now!!
I also had the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel replaced due to a terrible chatter. Works like a charm now!
And that was with 715 miles.

So I understand you!

Good luck!

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
$250!!! Woh. I dont know what im going to do now. Taking my car in to the dealer is out of the question. Even though this TOB didnt last one oil change, I am now pullied, and have an aftermarket clutch quad/firewall adjuster. The pulley is easy, but the firewall adjuster is there for good. So even a new aftermarket TOB will go bad if I dont get this part?

Mike,
If I was in your position, I would drive the car and wait and see. Maybe your TOB will last forever. If it does go, then you can decide if you want to buy the part. If the TSB does become a common repair, they might end up doing it for you sometime in the future even with your quadrant/adjuster. Especially if you originally had the problem before you modified the car.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Im just afraid of that part breaking. I have heard of it happening if you let the TOB to continue to squeek.

The only real reason I am even thinking of doing the clutch is because I dont want that part to break.

I will wait a bit more. Thanks

RGrossman

Established Member
If you buy the adapter with sleeve already on it, anyone know if it can be installed by yourself? I've done clutches before but dont know how the new retainer installs.

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I'm not trying to brag or anything, I just don't understand how your cars are causing this much trouble? I have had mine since july 02, it has 10,2xx miles on it with build # 1018. Not a thing wrong with mine. Hasn't been to the dealer at all.

Users who are viewing this thread