Another tire fitment question

Sublimize23

Established Member
Hey guys,
I am looking into buying the Nitto 555R drag radials in 275/40/17. Will they fit on 2001 GT wheels? I think they are 17x8". The stock tire is 245/45/17.

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
245 is the widest recommended tire for your 17x8 stock wheels. The 275's will fit your vehicle but we would recommend upgrading to 17x9 wheels.

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well would it really be that big of a deal? 30mm is less than an inch and a quarter.

Tire manufactures say yes it is a big deal. It is up to you if you want to do it or not, a lot of people do but again it is not recommended.

I posted this in another thread this explains some importance to a tire seating correctly on the proper width wheel.

You can't see this without the proper equipment but tires generate heat from friction when driving on the road. A properly seated tire disperses the heat through areas in the tires shoulder that are designed to handle it. When a tire is pinched or stretched (seated on a wheel that is too narrow or too wide) the heat is generated in areas not designed for it therefore the tire retains more of it. This can lead your tire to wearing out faster. It can lead to irregular wear patters, difficulty maintaining proper tire pressure and can cause the tread to separate. Prolong exposure to this can lead to a blowout.

Users who are viewing this thread