Another Steig ported eaton bites the dust

Freedom

Established Member
Rear bearings went on mine, the rotors were slapping each other hard. Thank L1ghtning for helping me swap it out with my old stock one......... :shrug:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'm sure that Stieg will take care of it. How many miles did you put on it and was it your original one or a core they sent you?

I am actually suprised they don't fail more often than they do seeing as how most of us spin them much faster than they were ever intended (eatons).

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I am actually suprised they don't fail more often than they do seeing as how most of us spin them much faster than they were ever intended (eatons).

+1 with you on that!

gbgary

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
I'm sure that Stieg will take care of it. How many miles did you put on it and was it your original one or a core they sent you?

yeah, i'll bet stieg really has nothing to do with the failure. btw...of the hundreds (maybe thousands) that they've done how many have failed?

dirtchicken

Banned
Eatons are pretty much over spun from the factory. I remember a graph floating around on one of the website with different pulley sizes and RPMs.

dynobobstieg

Freedom said:
Rear bearings went on mine, the rotors were slapping each other hard. Thank L1ghtning for helping me swap it out with my old stock one......... :shrug:
When was it ported? What pulley combinations were you running?
The Porting would not have anything to do with the rear bearings going out.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
2 or 3 threads out of many hundreds of happy customers makes you second guess? :rolleyes:

I've seen numerous threads on NLOC.net about problems with steigmeyer ported eatons? Not saying anything is going on but it does make one think twice

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Stiegemeier said:
When was it ported? What pulley combinations were you running?
The Porting would not have anything to do with the rear bearings going out.

only thing i can think is the way we spin the shit out of these things and being ported, lost some strength in the casing and caused the rotors to deflect.

Bootbox

Established Member
JUSTNLX said:
I don't understand? Exactly how does porting an Eaton make the bearing fail?

Sounds like they are spun up to fast.

Tons of blowers being ported on a mill, metal flying everywhere, a tight work schedule. Maybe some of the metal makes it's way into the bearing and doesn't get completely cleaned out before reassembly.

That's what I've seen some of the affected customers speculate at least.

Freedom

Established Member

It was ported early this year, i put about 8,000 miles on it with a 6# lower......the same 6# lower that ran my stock eaton for 30000 miles....and is running it now......

This isnt to bash Steig, but this is not the first eaton to have rear bearing problems coming back from steig, do you want me to dig up threads and really start a flamefest?

The porting itself has nothing to do with a rear bearing, but you taking them apart and either putting them back together incorrectly or not repacking the rear bearings could........so write this off as a overspun blower if you want....but in another 30k miles when my stock eaton is still running strong, i will make another post......

dynobobstieg

When someone has a problem with a blower we ported the very best thing to do is send it in to us to evaluate. We have no problem checking out someones blower to see what is going on.
One of the problems I have with your post is you never called us or sent your blower in for evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread