Another Roush/TVS in the 10s

kevinp

Established Member
Hit the track yesterday, only mods are the TVS/Roush, 82mm pulley/100mm idler, VMP tune (untouched except raising the shift points 100rpm), I had 3 gallons of VP MS109 I poured in to 5/8 a tank of 93, showed a little over 3/4 tank, Race star 17x10 rear with 295/45/17 MT drag radials, 17x4 front with 185/55 M&H tires. Thats it, I weigh 225, jack/spare was still in. Scales wrent on so I couldnt weigh it, probably weighed a little more than my old base car did with the one piece driveshaft.

DA was around 1200 feet, temp was 66-68 degrees. All runs made within an hour, no cool down except popping the hood in the staging lanes.

DSCF1075_zps0f6384bc.gif

MPH seemed a little off compared to my old '11, from the logs it looked like I was getting some belt slip on the top of 3rd and you could feel the car slow down. I got some antifreeze on the belt when I first put it together and it has started squeaking for 10 minutes when cold so I should replace it. Plus the cat overtemp is really dumping fuel from the 1/8 mile up. Just like my last one it slows down about .05 every pass, which really isnt too bad for a PD.

Very happy with it overall, its not a race car, its just a daily driver so I'm not going to chase tenths with it but it does have a little more in it. I'll play with it more in the fall when the weather cools off. Its not that exciting since I had the '11 but its the first 10 second car I ever had with a backup camera :beer:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
grats man! its definitely not hard to get into the tens with the TVS! You should let Justin tune that badboy on E85 and really let her fly!

kevinp

Established Member
grats man! its definitely not hard to get into the tens with the TVS! You should let Justin tune that badboy on E85 and really let her fly!

Since they dont sell E85 around here that probably wouldnt be a good idea :) With the tiny gas tank and less mpg it wouldnt suit the daily driver role very well with E85 anyhow.

How much HP does the 82MM pulley give you?

No Idea, I would guess 550 or so.

kevinp

Established Member
Nice times!!! Amazing how little it takes with these cars!

Its almost boring, I remember my first 10 second car in the early 80s, it was all crappy fiberglass hood/trunk, plexiglass windows, big block, 14x32 tires, gutted, open headers, one fiberglass seat etc.

Things have sure changed..

Poppacapp

Established Member
On the 5.0's how does Heat soak affect timing? I know on my GT500 it will pull timing hard at 125degrees IAT2. I think if I tried 3 runs in an hour I would probably hit heat soak. Still on stock HE though. DOes the TVS kit come with a dual fan HE? Good runs BTW

kevinp

Established Member
On the 5.0's how does Heat soak affect timing? I know on my GT500 it will pull timing hard at 125degrees IAT2. I think if I tried 3 runs in an hour I would probably hit heat soak. Still on stock HE though. DOes the TVS kit come with a dual fan HE? Good runs BTW

Mine wont pull timing as aggressive as a stock GT500 from IAT2, the IAT2 on the first pass (trailered it) was 110 degrees, 2nd was 120s and third was in the 130s. Timing didnt change much but the power will fall off naturally with the higher heat. These rely a little more on the knock sensors for timing control (they can add or subtract) rather then just pulling a ton of timing with the IAT.

The TVS comes with a single core HE, no fans, its about the size of the AC condenser but its thin. Also has a good sized reservoir, its adequate for the 82mm pulley and up I think, unless you are really on it a lot.

vortecd

Established Member
Did you have VMP do a 93 tune and you just threw the 109 in for safety?

kevinp

Established Member
Did you have VMP do a 93 tune and you just threw the 109 in for safety?

Pretty much just for safety, I use his 93 tune, never had any problems on 93 on the street but I had the 109 here so I figured I'd throw it in there for the track. Since I have to tow 230 miles each way I dont have the luxury of experimenting much.

I also have the NGK colder plugs in it, forgot to mention that.

vortecd

Established Member
Was this the tune they sent or did you do the data logging and send it back to him to make adjustments?

BTW loaded my tune in today and it started right up so I must have done everything right:) VMP tune 82 pulley and idler same as yours but Magnaflow mufflers and Ford X-pipe

Poppacapp

Established Member
Mine wont pull timing as aggressive as a stock GT500 from IAT2, the IAT2 on the first pass (trailered it) was 110 degrees, 2nd was 120s and third was in the 130s. Timing didnt change much but the power will fall off naturally with the higher heat. These rely a little more on the knock sensors for timing control (they can add or subtract) rather then just pulling a ton of timing with the IAT.

The TVS comes with a single core HE, no fans, its about the size of the AC condenser but its thin. Also has a good sized reservoir, its adequate for the 82mm pulley and up I think, unless you are really on it a lot.

Thanks for the info. I was just curious. My 12' does not have a downstream IAT2, so I can't view or datalog it. I will have to put my own IAT sensor in the manifold when I do my supercharger swap. Damn you Ford.... Damn you....:fm:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I'm surprised you're seeing belt slip. I have supplied idlers with 82, and haven't noticed slip.

corepwn

Established Member
TVS is really just the rotor pack from Eaton.

Roush, Edelbrock, and Magnuson all make TVS style blower kits for our cars.

Roush seems to be the most popular and proven with the largest tuner and aftermarket support.

kevinp

Established Member
How do you like your auto GT compared to your GT500?

Hated the GT500, love the GT. Too many reasons to list, mine had some trans/clutch issues since new and it snowballed with the dealer trying to fix it.

I'm surprised you're seeing belt slip. I have supplied idlers with 82, and haven't noticed slip.

It probably wasnt slipping, I just glanced at the logs yesterday and looking at them closer it appears that the throttle was closing (MAF flow dropping down) so something may be backing off the throttle at high RPM. I wasnt logging the actual throttle angle so I'll have to mess with it more, probably didnt affect the ET much since it happens the the worst on the top of 3rd gear.

Users who are viewing this thread