another reason not to drive when sleepy :(

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
Ok so I'm driving home from Vegas late last night in my 2010 gt. I came back from a wedding and was partying hard all weekend so im exhausted and running on fumes at this point. I'm going about 80 down the freeway when a riced out Toyota pulls up next to me. The thought of wasting gas on this guy was hilarious to me but he seems determined to get beat. So I end up dropping it into 3rd and we are off...... Well I'm off and all he sees is my tail lights obviously as he tries to keep up. I shut down at about 120. Next thing you know I look in my rear view mirror, yup u guessed it here comes Mr ricer doing a ricer fly by at about 100 while I'm back down to 80. I go back into 3rd and punch it, I catch up and fly past this guy in no time, this time I shut down close to 140. Sure enough 10 seconds later here he comes again, at this point you would think one of us would stop right? Wrong, I figured I'd beat this guy a solid 3 times. I get rdy to shift into 3rd for the last time from 5th and..... I blank out and for some reason went into 1st gear going 80..... my gauges turn red my engine is howling, my tires screeching, it was like I slammed on the brakes. Luckily it was left there less than a second, I instantly pushed the clutch back in and took it out of gear. As this happens Mr ricer flies past , I don't even attempt to catch up, not after what happened. That woke me right up and the rest of the drive home I took it nice and easy. I only punched It once more bout 25 min later to see if I ran ok, everything seems fine, we will see with time. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary like knocking or have any loss of acceleration so far. So That's great. Never racing that when I'm sleepy ever again that's for dam sure. Me 2, ricer 1 :rolling:

Last edited:

MLMike25

Established Member
Yeah, I've done that by accident for a split second (not while racing though). HORRIFIC is the word I'd use to describe the feeling when that happens.

bmxer89

Established Member
I know the feeling i went into 2nd instead of 4th before, its was horrible I thought my motor was gonna blow up

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Ricer fly by strikes again...Wow that is scary.....glad you didn't see any parts fly off there.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
That is some funny sh&^!!!..and I know how you felt when that happened.
At least it woke up your partied-out, tired a$$ up for the rest of the ride home!!
:beer:

90GSXDan

Established Member
Wow! Glad to hear everything is ok! That's scary as shit!!! If I were you, I would just do alittle maintenance just to be safe, since you never know. Just like an oil change to see if you find anything out of the ordinary on the drain plug (if its magnetic), throw in some fresh oil, maybe even change the plugs (not sure how it is on a mustang, I own a Eclipse and we change the spark plugs every 2500-3000 miles, we use a small gap resistor plug). Again I'm glad everything is ok! That's why you need Redbull/Monster or some 5 Hour Energy!!! Or a female giving you road head! LMAO!

Dan :beer:

TVSCobra

Established Member
You may be living on borrowed time.......

How high did you over rev the engine? I see you said it locked the rear tires up, which is a good thing. That may have kept your engine from blowing up or reaching really high rpms.

Rev limiters help but they DO NOT do ANYTHING for a mechanical forced over rev.

I would be worried about having a slightly bent valve or other damage. I have seen engines do just fine after a serious over rev, but I have also seen them drop valves around a short time after the over rev. You should be ok, but don't be suprised if you start to develop an issue. Best of luck to you.

On a side note what is your tire size and rear gear ratio?
With 3.55s and stock 17in rims stock tire size 1st gear at 80 mph is over 10500 rpms
With 3.31s and stock 17in rims stock tire size 1st gear at 80 mph is over 10000 rpms

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
Haha thanks you guys. So far everything is running fine, still no funky noises or abnormalities in the way it performs lets hope it stays that way. As for your question ricepunisher, I have the 19inch premium rims from the factory , which comes with 45/45/19 pirelli tires, and im running 3.73 gears.

TVSCobra

Established Member
the 19in wheel would have helped the high rpms, but the 373 gears didn't help.

best of luck to ya

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
been there bro, tried passing a slow as guy going about 60, and there was another car in the other lane i was getting into, so i went to slam it into 3rd but accidently through it into 1st....worst feeling ive ever had.... and yea i drove it around for 5 miles till i was assured everything was A OK

Users who are viewing this thread