Another question about clutches.... Need input

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Anyone know what a spline is??? I was looking at clutches before i buy it and it said choose 10 spline or 26 spline??? Idk what is that?? Lol any info would be great would a 10 spline be fine on a 99 cobra stock tranny?

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
That is the part that the Clutch sits on. Its called an Input shaft. The Splines are the cuts or teeth on it (For lack of better words). The 10 Spline is stock (Some say they are weak But I have the stock on running 10.27's) and the 26 are the ones that are stronger.

This is a picture of a broken one.

attachment.php

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
Splines are kinda like a bolt head with groves instead of a hex pattern. Here's a pic of some axles that have splines http://www.fourgeartrans.com/db2/00122/fourgeartrans.com/_uimages/DCP00608.jpg and http://www.kevinstang.com/3ncp.jpg see the groves in them? That's where they insert into the rear end. For your clutch the splines are on the drive shaft and it's the same thing. Check out Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle for a clutch, they wont steer you wrong. I would recommend the Spec 2+ and an aluminum flywheel. You will more than likely need to resurface the flywheel anyway so you might as well buy a new one and better one...it will save you money later on.

Damnit SmokenGRA03 you got to the post before I did...nice pic though

Last edited:

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Cool thanks again for the info... Well I did some research last night other forums it said 10 splines are for 5 sleds and 26 splines are t56 six speed. I guess they we're wrong.. Thanks again

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
If you have a stock 3550, 3650 or t-56 you need a 10-spline clutch.

If you input shaft was or is upgraded to a 26-spline then you would need a 26 spline clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread