Another problem..

03lowram

Established Member
So sometimes when I go to start the car it doesn't always crank up right away.. It make the noise when you first turn the key for second or two and then starts. I've had the car about 4 months now and it's probably done it 10 times in that amount of time. Just I don't know what it is or what's causing it.
Fuel pump? Starter? Sometimes I'll get in and wait for the gauges to light up and I'll wait for the chimes to stop then try to start it.. It will still do it. But I would say 85-90% it starts up fine.

The car is an auto, with about 18k miles on it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Does the battery have a full charge or is it worn down

03lowram

Established Member
Seems to be full.. I've never tested it out or anything. The gauge doesn't show it being low.

kingnut

Established Member
i would check the battery voltage and terminals. if everything is good there your probably gonna have to take it in to ford. could be the starter or the ignition.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
These new 2011 mustangs like to have strong full batterys. Most people seem to have issues with low or worn down batterys.

03lowram

Established Member
Well for some reason the postive terminal always seems to get caked with corrosion.. I cleaned it off about a month ago and it has came back again.
So you think that's what's causing it?

ViciousJay

Established Member
Could it be the weather, High humidity and lots of rain out by you lately?

use white grease or vasoline on the posts after cleaning them

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
When my car was new I went to start it one morning(had maybe 2 thousand miles on it) and it acted like I took the O2 sensors out of it. It rattled, surged like crazy and backfired. I shut it off, turned it back on and it was just fine. Never had it happen again. Seems like thes cars do strange things from time to time with no ill effect to anything.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Well for some reason the postive terminal always seems to get caked with corrosion.. I cleaned it off about a month ago and it has came back again.
So you think that's what's causing it?

Make sure the cable end isnt cracked or broken. And make sure there are no cracks around the battery terminal. I think i read somewhere that some mustang had cable issues. Also i know we put a bunch of harnesses in fusions.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Make sure the cable end isnt cracked or broken. And make sure there are no cracks around the battery terminal. I think i read somewhere that some mustang had cable issues. Also i know we put a bunch of harnesses in fusions.

Is there any TSB out for this?

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
the 11 up cars have a timed relay for the starter. all you have to do is just barely turn the key like your starting it and it will start cranking.
you dont have to hold the key forward while its cranking like the old cars.
dont believe me just try it. act like your gonna just bump it over, you cant.

Users who are viewing this thread