Another p1233/Boost a Pump Issue...yes ive tried searching

SirKing

Established Member
Info on the Car:
2003 Mach 1
Cobra Pumps/Tank
KB BAP (Pre Fpdm)
Wire Upgrade

We installed the Boost a Pump in May and have had zero issues until now.

Last week I drove to a car show from Toledo to Columbus which was roughly a three hour drive. Once we got to the show we sat around for 20 minutes and I went to start the car. The car started but idled around 500 rpms and then died. I tried starting the car again and noticed that I didn't hear the fuel pumps priming.

I ended up throwing the p 1233 code for the FPDM. I immediatley checked the FPDM and boost a pump. I ended up disconnecting the relay that was near the boost a pump kit. Once we re connected the relay the pumps primed and the car started right up.

Since then this only seems to happen when the car is driven for more than 5 mintues. As soon as we disconnect and re connect the relay the car starts right up.

Again the bap has been installed on the car since May and I haven't had a single issue until now. I also haven't changed a thing other than lowering springs and a power pipe.
Any suggestions? Bad relay?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Double check all your connections and you might be right with the relay being bad.

SirKing

Established Member
Something I probably should add.

It only does this when the car has been running for an extended period of time. On cold starts it fires right up.

Also, the car runs great and has no issues with driveability.

horspla2000

Established Member
I say disconnecting the relay and reconnecting it doesn't mean a bad relay. It seems to be working bec if it was bad, disconnect and reconnect wouldn't make it work. Very strange and very interesting issue. I guess if it makes you feel better, it would be easy enough to swap the relay and retry it. I'm gonna have to think about this one........

SirKing

Established Member
I say disconnecting the relay and reconnecting it doesn't mean a bad relay. It seems to be working bec if it was bad, disconnect and reconnect wouldn't make it work. Very strange and very interesting issue. I guess if it makes you feel better, it would be easy enough to swap the relay and retry it. I'm gonna have to think about this one........

Playing around with the wires tonight and one of the wires running to the relay seems to be "loose". When the car's running I can move/slightly pull on this wire and the car will start acting like its going to stall and in fact one time it did stall. Could this be the issue? car doesn't seem to doing it when I'm driving down the road (bumps, pot holes etc.)

The wire is the yellow wire and its secure like the rest of the wires running into the relay.

SirKing

Established Member
Another Update:

Car hasn't been started in over 24 hours. Went out today to see if I could figure out the problem. Now the pumps won't prime at all. I checked the grounds and the connections to the best of my ability and nothing seems wrong on that end. Checked the fuse to the boost a pump and that isn't blown either.

I cleared the codes and re scanned.

P1233 and now P0190 FORD - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit

I'm completely at a lost.

I plan on switching out the relay that was supplied with the wire upgrade asap. I highly doubt thats the issue though. Just strange that I'm just now having this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread