Another oil thread - winter oil question

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I know it's an endless debate about what oil brand/weight to run with these cars, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I'm due for an oil change to synthetic (car is sitting around 1200 miles right now, and has had one oil change already, but still on regular oil). I'm planning to run the car in the winter as we only get a few decent dumps of snow each season, so it's mostly just cold.

Anyone have informed opinions about what oil/weight to run in a 2010 GT500 in the winter? Should it be any different than summer weight?

If I would just be running the same oil specs as summer, I'm still torn between running Mobil 1 5W20 (which is what I ran in my 04 cobra for years), and doing something like the Amsoil 10W40 that a lot of guys seem to recommend.

Thoughts? Sorry in advance for opening the oil powder keg again!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No worries, as this is a legitimate question. Since most GT500 owners store their car during the winter months, this is a question that normally isn't asked. I also noticed that you live in Canada. If you were a resident of the southern United States, I would suggest sticking with Amsoil 10W-40 since it has better cold flow properties than un-sheared Motorcraft 5W-50. Although, it sounds like you may be using the car down to 0*F (-18*C), so I will give you some pointers for one lubricant that will be able to flow VERY well at extremely cold temperatures, yet still provide sufficient viscosity to protect your engine at normal operating temperatures.

Mobil 1 0W-40: With its very high viscosity index, it will flow very well in a Canadian winter, yet still have a viscosity to protect your GT500 under abuse. It uses a true synthetic base stock with no refined petroleum, and has higher levels of ZDDP for protection against metal to metal contact. The best part is....this lubricant is easy to find over the counter. You can even use one fill all winter long, or all year depending on how many miles you put on your car annually. My personal recommended change interval with this lubricant should be 5,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first.

I have a local friend in Florida who uses it even in our summer months with very good results.

Here is where I am going to remain on the Amsoil train. Your transmission. In very cold weather, the T6060 Tremec is notorious for the 1-2 shift clunk until the transmission fluid warms up. Depending on the ambient temperature, this may take awhile. If you would like to experience cold shifts that are fluid like hot shifting, you need a true synthetic ATF (Tremec specs ATF for this application).

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 1 gallon required for complete fill.

You may also have a question about oil filters. You want a filter with media that can better handle cold flow viscosities without fully relying on the bypass valve. This filter does it very well.

Amsoil EaO11

Royal Purple oil filters have a very similar media and will also perform better than synthetic cellulose paper media as used in Mobil 1 EP and K&N oil filters.

Anyone wanting Amsoil @ cost should PM me. It's the least I could do.

Last edited:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
No worries, as this is a legitimate question. Since most GT500 owners store their car during the winter months, this is a question that normally isn't asked. I also noticed that you live in Canada. If you were a resident of the southern United States, I would suggest sticking with Amsoil 10W-40 since it has better cold flow properties than un-sheared Motorcraft 5W-50. Although, it sounds like you may be using the car down to 0*F (-18*C), so I will give you some pointers for one lubricant that will be able to flow VERY well at extremely cold temperatures, yet still provide sufficient viscosity to protect your engine at normal operating temperatures.

Mobil 1 0W-40: With its very high viscosity index, it will flow very well in a Canadian winter, yet still have a viscosity to protect your GT500 under abuse. It uses a true synthetic base stock with no refined petroleum, and has higher levels of ZDDP for protection against metal to metal contact. The best part is....this lubricant is easy to find over the counter. You can even use one fill all winter long, or all year depending on how many miles you put on your car annually. My personal recommended change interval with this lubricant should be 5,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first.

I have a local friend in Florida who uses it even in our summer months with very good results.

Here is where I am going to remain on the Amsoil train. Your transmission. In very cold weather, the T6060 Tremec is notorious for the 1-2 shift clunk until the transmission fluid warms up. Depending on the ambient temperature, this may take awhile. If you would like to experience cold shifts that are fluid like hot shifting, you need a true synthetic ATF (Tremec specs ATF for this application).

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 1 gallon required for complete fill.

You may also have a question about oil filters. You want a filter with media that can better handle cold flow viscosities without fully relying on the bypass valve. This filter does it very well.

Amsoil EaO11

Royal Purple oil filters have a very similar media and will also perform better than synthetic cellulose paper media as used in Mobil 1 EP and K&N oil filters.

Anyone wanting Amsoil @ cost should PM me. It's the least I could do.

Thanks for chiming in - I was hoping you might.

With respect to the transmission fluid, is that amsoil you recommended then fine for running year-round once winter was over? I do get a pretty wide range of temperatures here - from 30+ C in the summer, to the odd low of -20ish C in the winter.

Are amsoil oil filters and the transmission fluid you mentioned gereally easy enough to find over the counter?

Thanks again for the advice.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
This has got me wondering about an oil change also. Had the oil changed a little before 1500 miles with the standard MC oil. I'm sitting around 3200 miles now and the on board diagnostic is telling me 16% oil life remaining. This can't be accurate but who knows? I would guess the best oil for me for year round would be the 10w40. Gets cold here for a few months, below freezing but no snow. UB can you pm a price for the oil and filter?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for chiming in - I was hoping you might.

With respect to the transmission fluid, is that amsoil you recommended then fine for running year-round once winter was over? I do get a pretty wide range of temperatures here - from 30+ C in the summer, to the odd low of -20ish C in the winter.

Are amsoil oil filters and the transmission fluid you mentioned gereally easy enough to find over the counter?

Thanks again for the advice.

Yes, Amsoil ATF is fine to use year round in all temperature ranges. It's more shear resistance compared to the petroleum based Mercon V factory fill.

It may not be easy to find over the counter. The good news is there are two Amsoil distribution centers in Canada.

amsoil-distribution-Revised.jpg

Royal Purple oil filters are easy to find over the counter @ Pep Boys. I don't know if you have those in Canada.

I've got my order in.
Thanks Troy

You are welcome, let me know if you have questions.

This has got me wondering about an oil change also. Had the oil changed a little before 1500 miles with the standard MC oil. I'm sitting around 3200 miles now and the on board diagnostic is telling me 16% oil life remaining. This can't be accurate but who knows? I would guess the best oil for me for year round would be the 10w40. Gets cold here for a few months, below freezing but no snow. UB can you pm a price for the oil and filter?

The factory OLM uses PCM calculations to determine remaining oil life. It doesn't have the ability to actually test the oil. In other words, it guesses.

I will send you a PM soon as I get in front of my desktop. I'm currently on my laptop.

Last edited:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Yes, Amsoil ATF is fine to use year round in all temperature ranges. It's more shear resistance compared to the petroleum based Mercon V factory fill.

It may not be easy to find over the counter. The good news is there are two Amsoil distribution centers in Canada.

amsoil-distribution-Revised.jpg

Royal Purple oil filters are easy to find over the counter @ Pep Boys. I don't know if you have those in Canada.

We have a place called Canadian Tire, which is kind of like Pep Boys, but carries stuff other than automotive, too. They have amsoil oil, but from what I can see, no amsoil transmission fluid or oil filters....no royal purple oil filters either.

I've found a link/phone number for an amsoil distributor in Toronto, so I'll be giving them a shout on Monday.

So to recap, you're saying that Mobil 1 oil you recommended, in conjunction with the amsoil ATF fluid will do me perfectly well year-round, including spirited driving and if, down the road, I decide to maybe pulley the car?

Thanks again for your help - I appreciate all the info.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So to recap, you're saying that Mobil 1 oil you recommended, in conjunction with the amsoil ATF fluid will do me perfectly well year-round, including spirited driving and if, down the road, I decide to maybe pulley the car?

Thanks again for your help - I appreciate all the info.

Yes, Mobil 1 0W-40 is a great choice of oil if you are going to be driving daily in temperatures under 32*F (0*C). Amsoil ATF is good for every temperature range you will encounter, and much better than the factory Mercon V fill.

For a summer fill, when you want to abuse the car and drive it like you stole it. Swapping back to Amsoil 10W-40 is a great idea, but that's not taking away from a fresh fill of 0W-40. My only gripe with the Mobil 1 formulation is it shears. After 5,000 miles it will shear to a mid 30 grade lubricant. This is why I recommend 5,000 miles or one year oil change intervals if you opt to use it.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Not to muddy the water here, but Red Line is a pure synthetic and is available in 0W/40, 5W/40, and 10W/40 along with the 5/50 previously discussed...I should have listened to Troy a month ago as I used the RL 5/50, next time, 10W/40 here I come...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
True information Mac, Red Line does have a very good 0W-40. The only reason why I didn't recommend it was because I didn't know how hard it was to get, or if it was available over the counter in Canada anywhere. Mobil 1 0W-40 is a true synthetic base stock, and easy to get. Me not being a Mobil 1 fan, yet still recommending this lubricant says a lot. It's one of the few formulations that deserves mentioning in their line up.

Your car is going to love you very much when you get the Red Line 5W-50 out of your engine. That stuff is great, but just too viscous for use in our cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread