Another oil post

802gt500

Established Member
I have a 12 gt500 that melted a couple pistons and is getting the treatment at a well known local machine/race shop. They are recommending a 20-50 brad penn race semi synthetic oil for break in and normal use. It has a higher zinc content than most oils which is good from what I have read.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
sounds too heavy if they are building the motor to Ford specs, especially if you're in VT and driving it in the winter months.

Blackmax

Established Member

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The extra Zinc cant hurt at all, but ouch on the price every time you change the oil.

What oil WERE you using and what caused the failure? Amsoil or Redline is very good and (relatively) inexpensive for the protection they provide.

That said my intake and pullied 2011 is only getting FomoCo 5w-50. If I get the engine built up and upgrade the blower, cams etc back to amsoil she goes.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Brad Penn has a straight 30w break in oil, I'd run that for the first couple hundred miles of the build. I'd run that for the first couple hundred miles and then switch to what the builder recommends. You don't want to run a synthetic oil during break in, it will make it harder to seat the rings.

Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs Driven are probably the two best oils out there but you'll pay for them. I use Joe Gibbs break in oil on all of my engine builds and haven't had a problem.

802gt500

Established Member
I had bad gas. It was old gas in the gas station tank from the winter. The engine builder said the colors looked good and just bad gas. MMR pistons +.020, manley rods, jdm cams, dynatec headers. Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread