Another new problem I forgot to post about.... ;(

SicShelby09

Banned
So a few months back, I had to avoid an accident and I swerved to the right. I jumped a pretty big curb, taking big chunks out of both the front and rear passenger side wheels. At which point, I replaced the wheels and had all 4 brembos powder coated black. So since then, I noticed the car would vibrate pretty bad around 55-60mph. So I took the car in and had all 4 tires remounted and road force balanced.

Well 3 out of 4 took only a few pounds to road force. The forth one took 60lbs of road force to balance. And the machine said the tire had a high spot. So the shop did indeed verify that the tire was bad and had a high spot. This was before winter, so I said screw it and told them to put it back on. I wrote off the vibration to that tire back in the right rear.

Fast forward to last weekend. I put on my drag radials that are completely different tires, and on different wheels. Needless to say I was shocked that the vibration was still there. And furthermore it seemed more apparent. My drag radials were also road forced, and they came out perfect. So now im bummed thinking I may have a bent axle or something else that is going to cost and arm and leg to diagnose. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong??? I was going to just let this go, and replace all the wheels and tires with some SVE drifts and nittos from LMR for the street, but that wouldnt be until next winter. I want this figured out in the mean time. What should I be looking at, and is it even worth taking this to the dealer??

please help.

CPRsm

Buy a magnetic base dial indicator and you can diagnose yourself. Pop the backs off to where you can get the tool on the axle and check run out. If it's bad enough, you can just pull the axle and roll it to see a bend.

SicShelby09

Banned
Buy a magnetic base dial indicator and you can diagnose yourself. Pop the backs off to where you can get the tool on the axle and check run out. If it's bad enough, you can just pull the axle and roll it to see a bend.

Yeah I havent changed back from the DRs to the street tires. And when I do I was going to spin them to see if I can visually see if they are bent. If they are, it would be the passenger side. **** I hate these type of issues. I know its not the motor, because its still there when im coasting with the clutch in.

stang8psi

Established Member
If it were a bent axle wouldn't there be a brake noise? Could possibly be a front steering issue? I think if you had a bent axle you would be able to tell right away! In my 02 I spun in heavy rain and hit a curb, same thing with the wheel and I could tell right away that I had a bent axle, It sounded almost like my rear brake was sticking and pulsating.

CPRsm

Mmmmm, are talking only a few thou in wobble. You might see it if it's bad enough. But if it's that bad you might feel it at pretty low speeds. Lemme know, I have axles here if you need that are just sitting.

ViciousJay

Established Member
had a similar issue but i didnt wack anything, ended up being the front sway bar links needed to tightened

SicShelby09

Banned
had a similar issue but i didnt wack anything, ended up being the front sway bar links needed to tightened

Yeah I was going to call my local dealer and ask them for mercy and see if they will look at the car and not charge an arm and leg for it. Just let me know whats wrong, and I can buy parts and fix accordingly.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Any chance you dented your drive shaft when you ran over the curb causing it to become unbalanced?

Users who are viewing this thread