Another New Guy

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

Been browsing the site for a while but finally set up an account.

Bought a 2001 Cobra back in March with 73k on it. It is my second mustang as I owned a 92 coupe back in the day.

Enjoying the car. From what I can tell it has 3.90 gears, pulleys, Bassani cat back and cold air intake. I have multiple questions but my first one is this.

I drive mostly highway. Probably 85% of the time. I cannot get better than 19 MPG. I have seen people on here with 4.10's and more upgrades getting in the mid 20's. Is that an indication that there is something wrong with the car or could it be an upgrade that isn't obvious like heads, fuel injectors etc.? I don't believe the cams are aftermarket as it idles as if it was stock.

Seems pretty quick. I have had a new Boss 302 roll up on me a couple of times and although we really have not had the opportunity to make a good run, from about 35 to 70 moh I hang right there with him.

Any thoughts?

p.s I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to cars. Love Mustangs, always have. Understand what the parts do, just not a lot of experience doing the work. That is one of the reasons I bought this. It will no longer be a daily driver in a year or so.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I don't see a problem with the car getting 19 mpg's. I would just change all the fluids and fuel filter and call it a day. Lastly, a new boss will walk all over our cars. Mine's eaton swapped and I think me and boss would be a solid run.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It also depends on the type of gas you're using. If it's something like E10 your mileage will be on the lower side.

pbeechner

Established Member
Yeah, E10 is when the fuel companies mix "up to 10%" ethonal in the gasoline. It is universal in the northeast and I don't know about other places. But if you see that sticker on the pump "May contain up to 10% ethanol" you are definitely getting E10. I have only ever got pure gasoline (no ethanol) in my car once and my mileage was slightly better.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Congrats & welcome to the site. When I run E10, I usually get 1-2 mpg less than 100% gas. I suggest the normal stuff like RX1 suggested: fluids & fuel filter and check your air filter at a minimum. New front O2 sensors may help w/the mileage but they can be pretty pricey.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Plugs as well.....I suspect stock plugs with 73 K on them.....fuel filter and clean CAI filter.

MAF? No small vacuum leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread