Another MT-82 Failure

Bloo

Established Member
So about 4-5 weeks ago i had my transmission looked at because it was whining pretty loud. Dealer had the car for about a week and replaced my 5th gear, and some other parts. (I'll get details on what else was done when i have access to the invoice, don't remember right now.)

It ran fine until 2 days ago. Now the car WILL NOT go into gear. I cannot get the car to go into reverse if my life depended on it. I have to put it in reverse before turning the car on just to back out of spots. 1st and 3rd are also IMPOSSIBLE to get into. 5th gear goes in every once in a blue moon, but makes a horrible grinding noise. Ever since yesterday, i have been driving in only 2nd (which gets locked out sometimes),4th and 6th gear.

Needless to say, i am not driving this car until i can get this issue resolved because it's pretty damn dangerous. Luckily all my driving was highway from Austin to Dallas today and i didn't have to get stuck in the middle of road not being able to catch a gear. Car will sit on its ass until i get it back to the dealer on tuesday.

I'm making this thread to see if anyone else has had similar issues or just to post updates for those who may run into an issue in the future.

My car is a 2011 base gt with 24k miles on it. Never tracked. Has a barton 2 post, Boss Mani, O/R X, and 93 lund tune.

NickSezz

Established Member
Sounds more like its cluch related man. Multiple gears all at once,..... Good luck though dude.

Agree. People with similar problems found that the flywheel bolts backed out due to improper torquing if I remember correctly.

Lone Star

Established Member
I had the transmission whine issue fixed under warranty as well. They replaced first, fifth and reverse and bunch of other stuff. Before the fix the only issue was the whine (sounded like I had a whipple) but no shifting issues ever. Right after I got the car back from dealer, had issues going into first and reverse, took about a week for both to cooperate and work again properly.

Found that if I put shifter in 2nd then 1st it worked every time, reverse felt like it went into gear then I would release clutch and hear grinding'so clutch went in immediately and then shifted it again and worked.

This issue does go away, though frustrating because one would think that once fixed new issues shouldn't show up. Best of luck to you!

Bloo

Established Member
Sounds more like its cluch related man. Multiple gears all at once,..... Good luck though dude.

Agree. People with similar problems found that the flywheel bolts backed out due to improper torquing if I remember correctly.

Hopefully it is. I'll bring that up to the dealer when i drop it off tuesday, thank you.

I had the transmission whine issue fixed under warranty as well. They replaced first, fifth and reverse and bunch of other stuff. Before the fix the only issue was the whine (sounded like I had a whipple) but no shifting issues ever. Right after I got the car back from dealer, had issues going into first and reverse, took about a week for both to cooperate and work again properly.

Found that if I put shifter in 2nd then 1st it worked every time, reverse felt like it went into gear then I would release clutch and hear grinding'so clutch went in immediately and then shifted it again and worked.

This issue does go away, though frustrating because one would think that once fixed new issues shouldn't show up. Best of luck to you!

Same here. I had no issues shifting before they worked on it, just the whine.

After getting it back, the whine went away but I had a little bit of an issue in the 1-2 shift, but nothing bad. I also had to pump my clutch the first few days in order for it to engage.

I am not depending on this issue to just 'go away' because I'm not risking driving the car in this condition. I got caught a couple times in the middle of the street trying to catch a gear already, it's not fun.

alex12gt

Established Member
So about 4-5 weeks ago i had my transmission looked at because it was whining pretty loud. Dealer had the car for about a week and replaced my 5th gear, and some other parts. (I'll get details on what else was done when i have access to the invoice, don't remember right now.)

It ran fine until 2 days ago. Now the car WILL NOT go into gear. I cannot get the car to go into reverse if my life depended on it. I have to put it in reverse before turning the car on just to back out of spots. 1st and 3rd are also IMPOSSIBLE to get into. 5th gear goes in every once in a blue moon, but makes a horrible grinding noise. Ever since yesterday, i have been driving in only 2nd (which gets locked out sometimes),4th and 6th gear.

Needless to say, i am not driving this car until i can get this issue resolved because it's pretty damn dangerous. Luckily all my driving was highway from Austin to Dallas today and i didn't have to get stuck in the middle of road not being able to catch a gear. Car will sit on its ass until i get it back to the dealer on tuesday.

I'm making this thread to see if anyone else has had similar issues or just to post updates for those who may run into an issue in the future.

My car is a 2011 base gt with 24k miles on it. Never tracked. Has a barton 2 post, Boss Mani, O/R X, and 93 lund tune.

it might be a good idea to pull the mods before going back

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
These cars have no bleed screw in the clutch system. Getting the air out is done by a combination of pulling a vacuum on top of the brake m/c reservoir and pumping the crap out of the pedal. Once you have a pedal there's no need to pull a vacuum so skip that step.

So try this. Pump the pedal 100 times, making sure the clutch pedal comes all the way to the top of its stroke with every pump. See if it improves.

Bloo

Established Member
These cars have no bleed screw in the clutch system. Getting the air out is done by a combination of pulling a vacuum on top of the brake m/c reservoir and pumping the crap out of the pedal. Once you have a pedal there's no need to pull a vacuum so skip that step.

So try this. Pump the pedal 100 times, making sure the clutch pedal comes all the way to the top of its stroke with every pump. See if it improves.

Pumping it does help a little bit. But temporarily. When I'm at traffic lights i pump the shit out of it and it goes into 2nd alot easier. 3rd is still not there though.

Bloo

Established Member
Dealer tech said it can be the clutch. If it is, it is not covered under warranty. What's a good aftermarket clutch to go with? Car will have a paxton on it in a few weeks, and is my daily driver. Don't want something that will kill my leg in traffic

Users who are viewing this thread