Another lowered shelby question

Svtheide

Established Member
So I just got my car back 2 nights ago an everything was fine just the extra driveline noises from the setup which is FRPP springs, LCA'S, UCA, an panhard bar. Now today im driving it to work it feels like the rear is loose an under some spirited acceleration the rear seems to pull to one side an then when you let off it seems to line back up with the front. I haven't got an allignment yet I was gonna do that tomorrow. Any ideas lol....

Ky GT500

Established Member
I bet the alignment will be eye opening. Sounds like the rear was not squared up and the car is what I call, dog walking on you. Kind of like when the center pin in the spring pack of the old Nova's would rust out and the car would dog walk sideways down the road.

Probably one of the LCA's needs adjusting to center the rear,,,,,in other words,,,one is longer than the other.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I assume you got the entire rear end package most on here get, so my guess is you aren't adjusted properly and need al your adjustments checked (pinion angle, thrust angle, axle centered, etc).

Svtheide

Established Member
Did you use LCA relocation brackets? Lowering the rear without these causes a decrease in rear traction.

Nope probably should of, but didn't think about it. Sounds like a good winter project with weather like we've been having in northern Illinois she will b put away in a week or so

Svtheide

Established Member
I bet the alignment will be eye opening. Sounds like the rear was not squared up and the car is what I call, dog walking on you. Kind of like when the center pin in the spring pack of the old Nova's would rust out and the car would dog walk sideways down the road.

Probably one of the LCA's needs adjusting to center the rear,,,,,in other words,,,one is longer than the other.

Dog walking is exactly what it is doing, my LCA's are not adjustable. Im hoping the alignment will solve these issues. ..I'd like to go into the winter worrying about making it faster lol not worrying about handeling

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
It's the thrust angle. Alignment should fix it. I assume you went with adjustable arms which are the fix for a bad factory thrust angle (and, unaligned, they can be the source of a bad aftermarket thrust angle.) Basically your rear axle is pointed at a slight angle because the arms are adjusted incorrectly. UCA changes the pinion angle (doesn't sound to be an issue) and the LCA adjust the placement of the wheel in the wheel well and set the thrust angle (your problem). Just imagine the driver side arm at 15 inches and the passenger side arm at 20" (to be illustrative). The axle will obviously be pointing to the driver side and the rear will go where it is pointed. Now I know yours isn't off that far but the smallest variations can cause issues.

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
By the way, make sure the dealership can align adjustable arms... thrust angle and pinion angle. I'd trust a dedicated alignmnt shop before I would a dealership. It's not real cheap either. Others have noted the proper settings but I think the pinion is -2 and of course thrust is 0.

Last edited:

Svtheide

Established Member
It's the thrust angle. Alignment should fix it. I assume you went with adjustable arms which are the fix for a bad factory thrust angle (and, unaligned, they can be the source of a bad aftermarket thrust angle.) Basically your rear axle is pointed at a slight angle because the arms are adjusted incorrectly. UCA changes the pinion angle (doesn't sound to be an issue) and the LCA adjust the placement of the wheel in the wheel well and set the thrust angle (your problem). Just imagine the driver side arm at 15 inches and the passenger side arm at 20" (to be illustrative). The axle will obviously be pointing to the driver side and the rear will go where it is pointed. Now I know yours isn't off that far but the smallest variations can cause issues.

Now im nervous I don't think there adjustable lol just my panhard bar is.

Svtheide

Established Member
By the way, make sure the dealership can align adjustable arms... thrust angle and pinion angle. I'd trust a dedicated alignmnt shop before I would a dealership. It's not real cheap either. Others have noted the proper settings but I think the pinion is -2 and of course thrust is 0.

The dealership I deal with builds performance mustangs all the time an I belive do the work for kenny brown mustangs as he is based out here

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
If you didn't get adjustable LCAs then you are mostly relying on the factory suspension mounting points to be dead on. Otherwise, the rear will step out when traction is broken. I have been told that MOST of our cars are not at 0 thrust angle from the factory.

If you have non-adjustable LCAs, the thrust angle should NOT be any worse off than it was stock BUT (as someone said) the traction might be reduced from the lowering springs. The lowered height changes the angle of the control arms, which reduces traction, which is highlighting the thrust angle being off. As they said, this traction issue is improved with LCA Relocation Brackets. I didn't notice a big difference from just these brackets but they should help. I have stock control arms with the relocation brackets for now.

Last edited:

Svtheide

Established Member
If you didn't get adjustable LCAs then you are mostly relying on the factory suspension mounting points to be dead on. Otherwise, the rear will step out when traction is broken. I have been told that MOST of our cars are not at 0 thrust angle from the factory.

If you have non-adjustable LCAs, the thrust angle should NOT be any worse off than it was stock BUT (as someone said) the traction might be reduced from the lowering springs. The lowered height changes the angle of the control arms, which reduces traction, which is highlighting the thrust angle being off. As they said, this traction issue is improved with LCA Relocation Brackets. I didn't notice a big difference from just these brackets but they should help. I have stock control arms with the relocation brackets for now.

Will the alignment help this walking out issue even w/o the adjustable LCA'S

Ky GT500

Established Member
Will the alignment help this walking out issue even w/o the adjustable LCA'S

If one tire is forward of the other, without a way to adjust on LCA, not sure if an alignment will correct your dog walk issue. The panhard only adjusts the side to side of the rear end, not front or rear. If the mounts are off from factory, they will be off on the aftermarket LCA.

Svtheide

Established Member
If one tire is forward of the other, without a way to adjust on LCA, not sure if an alignment will correct your dog walk issue. The panhard only adjusts the side to side of the rear end, not front or rear. If the mounts are off from factory, they will be off on the aftermarket LCA.

The car doesn't do it untill hard accel normal driving its straight an no issues

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member

What he said ;-). You can not adjust thrust angle w/o adjustable-LCAs. And yes, you typically only see the thrust angle show itself when the traction breaks loose. I mean, these cars DO do this in stock form too. Like I said, the positive thing about non-adjustable LCAs is that they niether worsen nor improve thrust angle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread