Another HE question thread

Black Sex

Established Member
I would really like to buy a dual fan HE this summer but I have too many other things going on and can't afford to drop $700-800 on one right now. So I was thinking about picking up a takeout '13/'14 unit. They look to be much larger than the factory HE in my '11 so I would think it would help. I've searched around but can't find any factual evidence of that.
Has anyone done this and did you have positive results? Does anyone know the actual size of the 13/14 HE? I found that the '11/'12 is 26x6x2.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
It's been done. From what I've seen though the 13-14 guys think its worth close to what you don't want to spend. The larger capacity helps. But the dual fans really help while sitting in traffic

Black Sex

Established Member
I was mostly after the larger capacity. The one I seen on ebay was $350 but I wont pay that. The fans would be nice. I thought it would be a little upgrade if I could pick one up for little money.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
That's the key. If you could get one for like $250 it's not a bad idea. I've seen some guys list them for 400-500 which is high considering the one with dual fans is only $700. Do you have a larger Ic resevoir? That's a cheap mod and I believe you can set your stock fan To come on at lower temps if you have an sct.

Black Sex

Established Member
Yeah I have the 3x res. I haven't played with the speeds before. I'm sure I'm being unrealistic when I say I would like to find one around 100-200 dollars lol

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Yeah I have the 3x res. I haven't played with the speeds before. I'm sure I'm being unrealistic when I say I would like to find one around 100-200 dollars lol

I've been watching them on Ebay for the past couple months. The lowest I saw one sell for was $320 shipped. I also wanted to snag one for around $200-250 shipped but don't think I will ever see one sell that low. I will be placing an order with BJ today for their triple pass twin fan HE.

-Nick

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member

Are you having an issue with it now? Seems like everyone is always paranoid about heat.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
IMHO. If people are looking for CONSISTENT performance, they should be paranoid about it. Our cars get heat soaked even during normal daily driving conditions. There's nothing worse than adding a smaller pulley or a TB and expecting the gains that you should get from them, then you don't get them because the PCM is pulling timing because of an inefficient HE system.

-Nick

Black Sex

Established Member
I'm running a FRPP TVS w/2.6. Nothing spectacular and around the same boost levels as a stock 13/14. But like I do notice the lack of power if I start doing back to back pulls.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
IMHO. If people are looking for CONSISTENT performance, they should be paranoid about it. Our cars get heat soaked even during normal daily driving conditions. There's nothing worse than adding a smaller pulley or a TB and expecting the gains that you should get from them, then you don't get them because the PCM is pulling timing because of an inefficient HE system.

-Nick
I've never experienced it. I'm sure I've had my car heat soaked but I've never noticed a drop in power.
I'm running a FRPP TVS w/2.6. Nothing spectacular and around the same boost levels as a stock 13/14. But like I do notice the lack of power if I start doing back to back pulls.

I've got a tvs coming this week so maybe ill notice it then more.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Just get the Afco without fans, no issues what so ever mounting it and if your lucky you can find one used for 200 or so. I'm not sure if the Afco is bigger or smaller than the 13/14 but it was a huge upgrade to my 08. I couldn't afford the fans either lol and I really don't sit in traffic so it works fine for me. I've also heard that at wot the fans are a restriction because they block the HE. JMHO

Black Sex

Established Member
I would also be OK with a used non-fan Afco unit depending on price. I guess I never thought of that. I figured there would be some cheap 13/14 HE out there that could be had for cheap. I'm starting to learn otherwise.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
A member on another forum did the '13-'14 switch. If I recall, it was not a straight swap and required some cutting on the car.

Steve

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Just get the Afco without fans, no issues what so ever mounting it and if your lucky you can find one used for 200 or so. I'm not sure if the Afco is bigger or smaller than the 13/14 but it was a huge upgrade to my 08. I couldn't afford the fans either lol and I really don't sit in traffic so it works fine for me. I've also heard that at wot the fans are a restriction because they block the HE. JMHO

That's not a bad idea. I might have to look into that.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member

Not possible, the fans are puller fans and sit behind the HE. No restrictions at all. The air will flow through the HE and disperse when it hits the blades. Might turn them if the fans aren't on but will not restrict any flow. My fans come on when the car starts and so far no issues. Don't see how I could go without them. Give Van a call and get a set. Best mod you can ever do

Users who are viewing this thread