Another gear ratio Q

Blackstallion8

Established Member
my buddy was telln me that going from a 355 to a say 373 390 410 gear either one slows u down and doesnt help in the quater mile.
this mechanic owes me a favor n said he would put them in for free and new bearings as well its hard not to think about it? whats ur guyz take/ i have a 03 with 53k 6 speed 2.76 pully dynoed 460 n 476 tq if i remember right. I dont have slicks yet but i will be buyn some 315/75 17s nt555r in the spring along with new wheels.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Wow! He must owe you one hell of a favor! Did you catch him cheating on his wife or something? A gear change is no light job on a Cobra.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
my buddy was telln me that going from a 355 to a say 373 390 410 gear either one slows u down and doesnt help in the quater mile.
It's not quite that simple. Lower gears will always improve acceleration as long as there is traction... however too low of a rear end could result in a car reaching it's top speed long before it finishes the 1/4 which is not good. HP and power curve is a big player in determining the appropriate rear end choice. On our Terminators you generally want to be able to stay in 4th gear through the traps. With stock tire height and typical mods a 3.73-3.90 works real nice but as you increase hp it may be necessary to go back toward the stock ratio or use a taller tire.

Blackstallion8

Established Member
haha

no i didnt catch him cheatn. im a bodyman and he messed up a truck once pushn it and made a dent i fixed the dent n painted the tailgate for him i didnt take his money on labor but he did pay for the materials so hes returnin the favor. i just need input on this so far i have read people goi to a 327 so im like aint that backwards. i dont think ill ever change anything in the engine bay too expensive.

Blackstallion8

Established Member
ahh

so lets say the most ill ever do is a stg iii port job putn me around 510 rwhp. assumin. i install say 373 cuz diablo tuners dont have 390 if im correct to cal the speedo. i get som e15s with mickeys on them i shouldnt have issues then?

Users who are viewing this thread