Another Fuel Filter question

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
I'm thinking of trying to quickly swap out my fuel filter when I get home before I leave out of town to hit up the track. is ford the only place that sells motorcraft parts? is this fuel filter the only one recommended? I believe the part number is FG-986B, is that correct? Ive been told to upgrade to a larger filter, will it fit in the little holder dealie ive seen in pics or how does that work? thanks guys, for a first timer, how quick do yall think I can swap it in?

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Go to NAPA and get a #3595. It's made by Wix and is a premium filter. There is no benefit by getting a larger filter. You can do it.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Go to NAPA and get a #3595. It's made by Wix and is a premium filter. There is no benefit by getting a larger filter. You can do it.
awesome, how about the tool? Ill assume they sell it there too, is there a brand or size I should look for? I have a grudge against kragen so I try to do all my shopping at napa.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Pep Boys has a really nice aluminum fuel filter key. Works very nice and you can easily get the the tool inserted and the filter off and back on in about 2 minutes.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
I'D WIN said:
Pep Boys has a really nice aluminum fuel filter key. Works very nice and you can easily get the the tool inserted and the filter off and back on in about 2 minutes.
cool, Ill hit them up on my way home, thanks! After this its just gonna be check the spark plugs and change the oil!

Robert Francis

Established Member
I've got the bigger Navigator filter on. Some have said they could get it in the clamp, but I didnt have much luck with it. So I put a screwtype clamp around it and that to a bolt through where the original clamp bolt was, to hold it in place. The inlet/outlets are the same size - wont flow any more or less that the standard smaller one - the only value to it is that due to it's larger size, it should take longer before it gets clogged - so whereas if you had the standard filter in there and got a load of dirty gas and it may clog quickly - the larger one might not - and maybe you'll be ok until you change again.

Users who are viewing this thread