Another friend

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
Last night my friend was pulled over for doing 20mph over the speed limit. I'm glad he was pulled over, but I do have a question. The police officer said he could give him three citations, I don't know what they are. Instead of writing citations though he just called my friends parents and had them deal with it. Why would a police officer not give the citations and then call the kids parents?

jshen

Established Member
Easy

It's called giving the kid a break! Parents need to know when junior does something stupid. Hopefully they will correct the issue. Your buddy got a huge break...and hopefully his butt kicked by his dad..Were I the dad, I'd have junior write a letter to the officer thanking him for giving him the warning.

sbro712

Established Member
I do that sometimes for several reasons:

1) I know that junior does not have a job, so any fine he is assessed will have to be paid by his parents. So who is really being punished? Junior or his folks? And then if the parents are paying the insurance they get a double whammy.

2) The parents' punishment is often more harsh then what the court doles out: taking away of the car, grounding, loss of various priviliges and so on.

3) Many times the kids will not tell their parents that they recieved a ticket, they won't pay it and when they turn 17 they have warrants out for their arrest.

4) I believe that parents should know what their kids are doing when they are not around their parents.

That being said, I have sent smart ass little punks home with a fistful of tickets in the past and I will continue to do so....mainly because they are little turds and gangbangers and I want them to have some paper hanging over their heads when they become keepers.

We had one little gang banger that myself and several other officers (basically every officer that worked the part of town that this punk lived in) hung tickets on every chance we got....and we had a lot.

The morning he turned 17, we knocked on his door and arrested him for the $12,000 in warrants he had earned. That was a good day.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Whos stopped him an where??? :)

First off all, tell your friend to stop speeding on my Turf!! :) As for the three tickets, it would depend on what your friend was really doing and how old he was and want not. If I was a guessing person, I would probably say:

346.57(4) Speed inexcess of Posted limits 205.80 and 6points
This is for the +20 over the limit

343.43(1)(d) Violation of GLD Restrictions $181.00 and 3 points.
Im just going to assume that you are younger than I, and that your friend still has a wisconsin probationary license.

The third, I don't know with the limited amount of info. Maybe a seat belt or some other moving violation or vehicle defect.

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Whos stopped him an where??? :)

First off all, tell your friend to stop speeding on my Turf!! :) As for the three tickets, it would depend on what your friend was really doing and how old he was and want not. If I was a guessing person, I would probably say:

346.57(4) Speed inexcess of Posted limits 205.80 and 6points
This is for the +20 over the limit

343.43(1)(d) Violation of GLD Restrictions $181.00 and 3 points.
Im just going to assume that you are younger than I, and that your friend still has a wisconsin probationary license.

The third, I don't know with the limited amount of info. Maybe a seat belt or some other moving violation or vehicle defect.

He does not have his probationary license. He is 17 and I am 17. He told me the real story last night. He was clocked on radar doing 45 in a 25 and then he ran through a stop sign. After that he was doing 60 in a 25. I guess those were the three things he did wrong. I believe him because another one of my friends was with him and said the same thing.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
sbro712 said:
2) The parents' punishment is often more harsh then what the court doles out
I have my doubts about that. Note to all LEOs from John Q. Citzen: I'd rather you guys hand out the tickets and not rely on today's parents to administer the discipline.

Too many parents I know today are waaay to soft on their kids. My 17 year old nephew was cited in an accident (he rear ended someone, was following too closely, and the weather conditions were poor) and all his mom could do was complain about how unfair the police were to him :rollseyes

By the way, two moving violations in Ohio before you are 18 = instant 6 month license suspension.

...He was clocked on radar doing 45 in a 25
...then he ran through a stop sign
...After that he was doing 60 in a 25.

...was grounded for 1 month and lost all driving priviliges
Wow...a whole month without the car... :nonono:

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
I have my doubts about that. Note to all LEOs from John Q. Citzen: I'd rather you guys hand out the tickets and not rely on today's parents to administer the discipline.

Too many parents I know today are waaay to soft on their kids. My 17 year old nephew was cited in an accident (he rear ended someone, was following too closely, and the weather conditions were poor) and all his mom could do was complain about how unfair the police were to him :rollseyes

By the way, two moving violations in Ohio before you are 18 = instant 6 month license suspension.

Wow...a whole month without the car... :nonono:

He doesn't get to drive their car EVER again, and he is grounded to his house for a month.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
sharkall2003 said:
He doesn't get to drive their car EVER again
That's a good start :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear that he has some reasonable parental guidance. Sadly, I suspect that his parents may be the exception, and not the rule. I hope not. :shrug:

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
That's a good start :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear that he has some reasonable parental guidance. Sadly, I suspect that his parents may be the exception, and not the rule. I hope not. :shrug:

Yeah, my mom said if I would have done something like that she would have told the officer to give me all the necessary fines, jack up my insurance in the process (since the tickets would raise insurance) and then take my car for reckless driving. She would never ground me though. Then again, that's his 4th time being pulled over and I have never been. I don't speed except to pass a car going well under the speed limit.

Users who are viewing this thread