Another fit question: 17x10"

Spiffy668

Established Member
I know there has been a lot of posts about tire size and wheel fits, but I'm gonna add one. :)

I'm looking at a set of rims, Cragar 980s (the shinoda s/s rims designed for the boss), 17x8 up front and 17x10 on the rear... I've been told these have a 6.5" backspacing and I believe a +30mm offset. Will these wheels be a good fit under the rear of a 99 or will I need a spacer ( thinking .25"). I'd wrap the rear in 295s but would like to keep the 315 DRs if they would fit. Opinions/thoughts? I used to have a set of these on my 97 GT and they look dead sexy IMO when shined.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Could ya give a pic, I'd like to see what they look like, I'm also looking for a nice wheel/tire package, with 17x8's up front and 17x9 or 10 in back. IMO anything more than a 245 or 255 up front sticks out to much, while the backs need at least 275's.

Spiffy668

Established Member
Right now, I have 275s all around on the stock 5 spoke wheels. The 275s up front fill the fenders so nice in the front IMO. I could never stand the tire being flush with the lip of the wheel, so I like a "pudgy" tire anyway. But I'll definitely snap some pics for ya.

Spiffy668

Established Member
b to the u, to the m, to the p, bump. :)

UPDATE:

Finally got the wheels and measured them myself. For the rear:

17x10, +24mm offset, 6.625" backspacing.

I've been browsing many a place, and have it seems everyone sticks with a 9" wide wheel, so information on a 10" with that much backspacing is hard to find. So, more generic questions probably would get me a better answer, huh? :shrug:

All you guys with aftermarket wheels, do you know your backspacing and what size tire do you use?

I see it this way, if I use a 1" spacer, I "decrease" the backspacing (~5.625"), but that puts the tire farther out which I may have to worry about rubbing? :shrug: I need a happy medium so I can find/buy tires and move on to other mods. :) Help!

Users who are viewing this thread