Another Exhaust Thread- question, disappointment

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I had the Ford Racing 3" catback w/ after cat X pipe installed and at this point I'm a little disappointed. On my 03' Cobra I have a similar Ford Racing exhaust (Borla) catback and I love the way it sounds.

Unfortunately the 5.0 GT sounds nothing like it. The 5.0 doesn't sound nearly as deep, the sound is not as clean, and almost quiets down in the upper rpms. The mufflers are similar shape and style to the 03's stingers but don't have the same sound. I realize different engine, 3" pipes, cats, stock intake all play a part.

:??:
......is there anything I can do to make it deeper sounding? Installing resonators? Deleting the cats?

Or is it the style muffler?
Though I suspect they are older style Borla stingers, similar I looks to the Roush, Magnaflow, Bassani straight through mufflers.

alex12gt

Established Member
the after cat x really didnt do much and if you want it a bit louder you will have to get a straight through or more open muffler

Onelfastlride

Established Member
the after cat x really didnt do much and if you want it a bit louder you will have to get a straight through or more open muffler

What's the part number on the mufflers? Do you still have resonators?

It's the Ford Racing PN 130224. The box PN was M-5230-MGTCA30 Complete 3" X, over axle pipes, and mufflers. The mufflers are a small straight through design looking very much like the Roush mufflers.

It's not that it's not loud. I mean it's set off car alarms cruising by in 1st. Its just that it's not clean, defined, or deep. Hard to describe but think of a sound wave, you can have a clean well defined peak, or a big broad wave and multiple frequencies. It's the that, just bla.

I wonder if resonators would deepen the sound?

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The X is not deep, an H is.

The deepest mufflers I tried were the MACs, by far. They droned though with no resonators. They may be ok with resonators though.

Mike

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
here is my exhaust setup. there are plenty of videos of my car on my channel.

[youtube_browser]zlmcu7CjMz4[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread