Another dog training thread

ademily87

Established Member
Hello all!! I just have a few questions. My best friend has a beautiful champagne pitbull that he's had about a year now, named Hercules. He's his stud dog for breeding, so he's lived in a pen pretty much his whole life. He was approximately 10 months old when my friend got him, so I'd say he's about 2 years old. He's never been neglected and is/has been fed very good dog food his whole life.

He's the sweetest dog I've ever met in my entire life. Very happy when you let him run around the yard. Well my friend is gonna let me take him home with me, cause he's such a good dog he doesn't want him to be an outside dog his whole life. I have two pits at home already that I trained since they were puppies of only a few months old that are very well behaved and intelligent.

Hercules though...I've never had to train an "adult" dog. I went out yesterday and bought him a collar and leash. I put the collar on him, and that didn't bother him because he usually has one on. But I put on the leash, and he just laid down. Didn't want anything to do with it. I walked him around the block and practically had to bribe him the first half of the walk with Vienna sausages. He would do great walking right beside me for a few minutes and then he would just drop to the ground and lay down and not move. No noises, or animals, but randomly lay down. I dunno. He's not very responsive of his name either and doesn't exactly pay attention to you. He doesn't look at you much and kinda just does his own thing. My friend already tried to house break him, and gave up after only a few days. Mistake on my friends part though, he doesn't have a kennel so he just gave him free range of the house.

Do any of you have experience training a strictly outside dog to a house dog? He's pretty much 2 years old, and has lived in a pen his whole life. He's very sweet, but doesn't seem very intelligent..not his fault though. He's never been taught any different.

Should I give this pup a chance? My main concern is the house breaking a dog that's used to peeing and pooping whenever and wherever he wants. Am I gonna need to train him like you would a puppy, or is there a whole other level of techniques to train an adult dog?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Pics of the guy
IMG_2676_zpscc57110d.jpg

IMG_2669_zps367746de.jpg

IMG_2667_zps2e740eeb.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
no wonder he's used as a stud... he's a great lookin pitbull!

not sure on any specific advice though for helping here =(

POPPAJ

Established Member
Walk away from that one. Bring it into your home and the problems will start with your own dogs. The only one lacking in intelligence is the owner. Dog was outside in a pen mostly it's whole life with little human contact and no training. People like your friend shouldn't own dogs. If all your friend wants to do is feed a dog tell him to get a job at a shelter.

ademily87

Established Member
Walk away from that one. Bring it into your home and the problems will start with your own dogs. The only one lacking in intelligence is the owner. Dog was outside in a pen mostly it's whole life with little human contact and no training. People like your friend shouldn't own dogs. If all your friend wants to do is feed a dog tell him to get a job at a shelter.

Haha no, he is a pet too. He comes inside frequently and is let out of the pen almost everyday to run around his fenced in yard.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I seriously doubt he will have a negative affect on my dogs behavior. They've been trained by me since they were little pups, and are now 4 years old. I may be wrong, but if anything I would think my dogs would help him.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to start from scratch like I would with a puppy, or if there's a different approach I need to take since he's 2 years old.

This thread is about me trying to give a dog a better home, not about how my friend takes care of his dogs. Thanks for your input though. :beer:

04svtterm

Established Member
good looking dog. ive trained Pits all my life and corrected bad habits. pretty much what this means is this dog was never walked haha. people think just letting them run in the yard is the same as taking em for a walk which is completely wrong. I wouldn't give up on him because you have to remember hes a dog...he's searching for a leader. You will have to be a strong leader. once you claim that strong leader role...he will obey. Thats why Pitbulls make such great house dogs..they are human friendly and VERY loyal.

For the walking...what you will have to do is get a long rope. tie it to his collar and just leave it there. let him do whatever he wants with the leash on and get comfortable with. Good thing is ...you have other dogs which makes training that much easier. He will follow what ur other dogs will do. anyways..keep the leash on him maybe play catch with him a bit. let him get some energy out. Make an attempt at walking ur other dogs along with him. Bring another person if needed. keep his rope really loose. let him get use to walking as a "pack". now its something that will take time..so you have to be patient. but keep at it. let him get use to that leash...and let him be around the other dogs becuase they do tend to teach each other alot.

Wish u were closer cuz id help you out.

ademily87

Established Member
no wonder he's used as a stud... he's a great lookin pitbull!

not sure on any specific advice though for helping here =(

No training tips here but That dog is awesome!

good looking dog. ive trained Pits all my life and corrected bad habits. pretty much what this means is this dog was never walked haha. people think just letting them run in the yard is the same as taking em for a walk which is completely wrong. I wouldn't give up on him because you have to remember hes a dog...he's searching for a leader. You will have to be a strong leader. once you claim that strong leader role...he will obey. Thats why Pitbulls make such great house dogs..they are human friendly and VERY loyal.

For the walking...what you will have to do is get a long rope. tie it to his collar and just leave it there. let him do whatever he wants with the leash on and get comfortable with. Good thing is ...you have other dogs which makes training that much easier. He will follow what ur other dogs will do. anyways..keep the leash on him maybe play catch with him a bit. let him get some energy out. Make an attempt at walking ur other dogs along with him. Bring another person if needed. keep his rope really loose. let him get use to walking as a "pack". now its something that will take time..so you have to be patient. but keep at it. let him get use to that leash...and let him be around the other dogs becuase they do tend to teach each other alot.

Wish u were closer cuz id help you out.

Yea I figured he was never walked. The way he acts when he sees the leash, you would think he was beat with one his whole life!! I understand this is all new to him and none of it is really his fault. I'm gonna try to take my female and him for a walk together tomorrow and see how he does. I've heard of people keeping the leash on the dog while they're in the house, and just letting the dog walk around dragging the leash so they get used to it. Don't know if that works or not though. Seems kinda like a good idea?

He's at my house now, happy as he could be. Everyone is getting along fine, and seems they can't get enough of each other! He did pee on a fan in the living room, but I caught him in the middle of the act and made a nice big stern "NO" and took him outside and stood there with him and wouldnt let him back inside until he pee'd and then told him good boy and let him back in the house. It's going pretty smooth so far. *fingers crossed*:pepper:

ademily87

Established Member
All is well so far. He hasn't pooped in the house yet, but is not fond of the kennel at all. He's messed his face up pretty bad trying to get out of it. He chewed up a light bulb...carried my tv remote into the kitchen. That's about it lol

Looks pretty happy to me though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooFVvV4E74&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Planter

Banned
Hello all!! I just have a few questions. My best friend has a beautiful champagne pitbull that he's had about a year now, named Hercules. He's his stud dog for breeding, so he's lived in a pen pretty much his whole life. He was approximately 10 months old when my friend got him, so I'd say he's about 2 years old. He's never been neglected and is/has been fed very good dog food his whole life.

He's the sweetest dog I've ever met in my entire life. Very happy when you let him run around the yard. Well my friend is gonna let me take him home with me, cause he's such a good dog he doesn't want him to be an outside dog his whole life. I have two pits at home already that I trained since they were puppies of only a few months old that are very well behaved and intelligent.

Hercules though...I've never had to train an "adult" dog. I went out yesterday and bought him a collar and leash. I put the collar on him, and that didn't bother him because he usually has one on. But I put on the leash, and he just laid down. Didn't want anything to do with it. I walked him around the block and practically had to bribe him the first half of the walk with Vienna sausages. He would do great walking right beside me for a few minutes and then he would just drop to the ground and lay down and not move. No noises, or animals, but randomly lay down. I dunno. He's not very responsive of his name either and doesn't exactly pay attention to you. He doesn't look at you much and kinda just does his own thing. My friend already tried to house break him, and gave up after only a few days. Mistake on my friends part though, he doesn't have a kennel so he just gave him free range of the house.

Do any of you have experience training a strictly outside dog to a house dog? He's pretty much 2 years old, and has lived in a pen his whole life. He's very sweet, but doesn't seem very intelligent..not his fault though. He's never been taught any different.

Should I give this pup a chance? My main concern is the house breaking a dog that's used to peeing and pooping whenever and wherever he wants. Am I gonna need to train him like you would a puppy, or is there a whole other level of techniques to train an adult dog?

you have to establish yourself as the ALPHA. him not wanting to walk on a leash, and not looking at you, and not responding to his name, or doing anything at all....

that's his way of saying **** you, I run this shit.

if you want to change that, you have to be the ALPHA. he will fight for that position. He's already got a leg up on you, because you're new to him, and he already does things his own way.

If you're not experienced, I'd take him to a professional dog trainer, and let them break him for you. if you try to break him, and you do it wrong, he will turn on you in the blink of an eye.

be one thing if you had him from a puppy, but this is a full grown, set in his ways pit bull dog. You're playing with fire, and you could end up getting burned.

either find the dog a new home, give him back, or take him to a pro. :beer:

ademily87

Established Member
He has gotten much better. He now sits, stays, lays down, and responds to his name very much. He's learning which are toys and what isnt. Pretty sure he knows I'm the alpha. He follows me everywhere I go, and I make him sit at the door after bringing him in from the yard, and make him wait until I go inside first. He's doing much better on the leash. He's just the sweetest happiest dog I've ever seen!!

Main concerns now are seperation anxiety, and marking (with his pee) in occasion. He seems to only do this stuff with me at work though, and pees more frequently when my wife is there.

I'm not giving up :) :beer:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Beautiful dogs. Don't give up. It takes a lot more time to train am adult dog vs a puppy. Have to be very patient and not lose your cool

ademily87

Established Member
Haha a snipping is in fact on the to do list.

Both my original male and female are fixed, both have up to date microchips, and all vaccinations and paper work, and registered with the state. Also we have extra insurance coverage through our home insurance covering them. And they also have their own health plan through Banfield Animal Hospital through pets mart for around $25 each.

Yea, screw having kids. I'll stick with dogs. :D:beer:

ademily87

Established Member
And their dog food I buy is $65 for a 28lb bag, that's all natural with no additives or chemicals. Something like 46% crude protein and 30 something % crude fat. They eat better than me haha

Planter

Banned
He has gotten much better. He now sits, stays, lays down, and responds to his name very much. He's learning which are toys and what isnt. Pretty sure he knows I'm the alpha. He follows me everywhere I go, and I make him sit at the door after bringing him in from the yard, and make him wait until I go inside first. He's doing much better on the leash. He's just the sweetest happiest dog I've ever seen!!

Main concerns now are seperation anxiety, and marking (with his pee) in occasion. He seems to only do this stuff with me at work though, and pees more frequently when my wife is there.

you're lucky then. i've seen a few people that are rather knowledgeable try to do what you're doing with a pit, and it got them visits to the ER.

props to you. glad he's coming around rather quickly and without aggression.

the separation anxiety is a toughie. my cocker spaniel still has it. every time i come home, and then go back to the car to get the groceries, she goes nuts.

I've been working with Callie by leaving her in the livingroom, and going outside and closing the door. if i hear her bark i come right back in with a stern NO! and a sit down command. she's getting better. sometimes I just let her stay in her crate where she can see me and give her a bone and a toy to chew on. lately what's been working is putting the puppy bed i bought her in the livingroom, and I say "bed" and she goes and i give her all her toys. this has had tremendous success and she sits quietly and patiently plays with her toys while I'm working on homework.

her howling when she is put in the crate has stopped. even when I leave she doesn't howl. she knows her crate is her safe quiet place, and she is always very relaxed in there.

keep working with him, sounds like he'll be tip top shape in no time flat. :beer:

ademily87

Established Member
Well he has worms. He pooped in the house today and it was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. The worms were an inch to 5-6". There was a ton of em, more worms than poop. Going to Petco now to get some meds :(

Bass

pour me another
Established Member
Listen all of the people who have said " hes a pit you are playing with fire" or any other ridiculous comment need to seriously pull your head out of your ass. Pit bulls are the most mis understood creature in history. PERIOD. just because every tough guy wanna be thug gang banger or what ever gets a pit because they look macho and have no clue how to raise a dog, the breed gets blamed. its BULLSHIT. The media is also so quick to jump on any story with the word pit bull in it. Do some research. please.

ANd to the OP props to you man. he is a beautiful dog, but your friend sounds like an idiot. Keep up the good work with him and your other two, its us as responsible pit bull owners that have to be the ambassadors for the breed and change the negative perception that people have :beer: and get him to a vet for the worms, if your were shitting worms you wouldnt go to cvs for the cure youd go to the er lol

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'd get him to the vet to figure out what kind of worms they are as some can be transferred to humans.

Users who are viewing this thread