Another Clutch Question

1998Venom

Established Member
I've just read virtually every string regarding clutches/flywheels in the SN95 Forum, and would still like some feedback regarding the best clutch setup for my bolt-on only, daily driver:

- OEM, granted the original lasted 80,000+ miles
- 11" FMS Upgrade (stock '99 and '01 Cobra)
- Spec Stage I or II

In addition, should I consider an Aluminum Flywheel - is it worth it? As well, what else should I consider getting done at the same time?

Thanks.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
me personally would do the 11 inch upgrade, which is what i plan to do, with a spec stage 2 clutch, i like the king cobra clutch too, i have one in my 5.0 and i love it, it grabs so nice, if you have the money get an aluminum flywheel

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Even if u have the money dont get the aluminum flywheel. Whenever this topic comes up I recall an artical I read in car craft(One of the best car mags ever) about this issue. As far as drag raceing was concerned it has been a common myth that aluminum flywheels freed up drivetrain horespower and created faster ETs. However, there were a select few who swore by nodular iron flywheels. There reasoning was that between shifts the iron flywheels stored up more inertia(spelling?) and when releasing the clutch, delivered a 50 hp increase over what was found at that RPM typicaly. Where as the aluminum only delivered a 25-30 hp increase. The aluminum flywheel did manage to free up around 5 hp or so throughout the RPM range. Car Craft did dyno several cars to get these numbers. They found that with the several cars they tested ranging from 14 second cars all the way to 10 second ones, that when the car was equiped with the iron flywheel, on average, the car was .1-.2 sec quicker. They did admit that an aluminum flywheel is superior for road courses where u shift less and stay in gear more. They also said, which corosponds to my personal experiance, iron flywheels are much easier to launch and use on the street. Plus they are cheaper. This last part is particualrly true on our cars with there substantial lack of low end torque, as aposed to 03-04 cobras who are know for an abundance pf that torque. It might be cool to list an aluminum flywheel in ur mods but I just cant justify it to myself. There is nothing like the vilonet thrown back into ur seat feeling when u shift. Its not the same feeling with an aluminum. Just my .02

P.S. I am not magazine raceing. I could tell u the diferance in feel, but they had the numbers to back my statement up.

Last edited:

1998Venom

Established Member
WishIHadaCobra - you're thoughts repeat what I've heard from Joe DaSilva of DaSilva Racing.

If I were to upgrade to an 11" clutch, I've read that we need to keep the 10.5# flywheel - is this correct as well?

Thanks.

PETSNKE

Established Member
Originally posted by 1998Venom
If I were to upgrade to an 11" clutch, I've read that we need to keep the 10.5# flywheel - is this correct as well?

You can use a 11" flywheel on a 10.5" clutch, but not the other way around. You need to replace the flywheel when upgrading.

1998Venom

Established Member
I just ordered a replacement clutch kit from Mustang Parts Specialties (www.stangparts.com) for $99 - they are the clutch kits for a 2001 Cobra. I simply need the pilot and throw-out bearings, and I'm good to go!

Thanks for your input.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by 1998Venom
I just ordered a replacement clutch kit from Mustang Parts Specialties (www.stangparts.com) for $99 - they are the clutch kits for a 2001 Cobra. I simply need the pilot and throw-out bearings, and I'm good to go!

Thanks for your input.

Your gonna need an 11" flywheel for that. Do u have one already?

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
well i feel the same way about steel flywheels, which is why i want to get the 11 inch kit, but to get a good launch with an aluminum as you would a steel you just need to rev a little higher, feb 03 issue of mm&ff has a very good article on this called mass vs myth, they said that any evergy stored by the heavy flywheel in the shift is overcomed by the lighter flywheel once your in gear, both the cars they tested ran quicker et's and more mph with the lighter flywheel

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
well i feel the same way about steel flywheels, which is why i want to get the 11 inch kit, but to get a good launch with an aluminum as you would a steel you just need to rev a little higher, feb 03 issue of mm&ff has a very good article on this called mass vs myth, they said that any evergy stored by the heavy flywheel in the shift is overcomed by the lighter flywheel once your in gear, both the cars they tested ran quicker et's and more mph with the lighter flywheel

Do u know what issue that was. I'll dig up my car craft one when I can. I personlly give them more credit on technical issues then MM&FF. I guess the mystery lives on. Ill still go by the seat of my pants feeling and pick the iron flywheel.

Edit. nevermind u say which issue

Last edited:

1998Venom

Established Member
The kit comes with the 11" flywheel, disk and pressure plate.

I was truly thinking Spec 1 or 2, however, was concerned about comments of additional stress on the transmission, and couldn't pass up this deal - the entire assembly installed will be the same price as the Spec unit

16yrCobraOwner

Established Member
well reguardless of what people say, i have had a bad tiume with the king cobras, mine havent lasted over 1200 miles and i already have 750 on my ne spec, and i dont feel any slippage. maybe it was jus me, but i sent back the clutch and ford is giving me a credit for their products... i beleive there was somehitn defective with the clutch i say SPEC STAGE ONE

here is the dead king cobra...
379e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread