Another CLUNK gone success story!

Lightmare

Banned
Well, thanks a to a broken driver's side halfshaft, my clunk issues are gone completely.

Before it would clunk almost everytime I put it into first, releasing the gas would cause a double clunk and random times in all other gears. I was fed up.
It was exponentially getting worse with time.

It appears the previous owner installed my 4:10 gears perfectly, but he or whoever installed the bushings and brace and cover neglected some major procedures. For example, not torquing the bolts and nuts to spec. Bolts were placed in without nuts on the back; some bolts were placed, but were hand tightened when checked.

With the installation of the new bushing, halfshaft and cover, all torqued to spec, it appears the clunk is finally history. The backlash was finally set correctly too.

Just something to think about if you have clunking issues.

I'm going to go and enjoy my car now!!! :rockon:

Last edited:

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
You have 4:10s? That must make traction a bit.. difficult to come by. Glad to hear you got rid of the clunk, though. There's nothing like having to fix the screwups of people who have previously tinkered with your car.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Which bolts and bushings are you talking about? New front diff bushings got rid of my clunk completely. The stock ones were shot to hell.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Well, thanks a to a broken driver's side halfshaft, my clunk issues are gone completely.

Before it would clunk almost everytime I put it into first, releasing the gas would cause a double clunk and random times in all other gears. I was fed up.
It was exponentially getting worse with time.

It appears the previous owner installed my 4:10 gears perfectly, but he or whoever installed the bushings and brace and cover neglected some major procedures. For example, not torquing the bolts and nuts to spec. Bolts were placed in without nuts on the back; some bolts were placed, but were hand tightened when checked.

With the installation of the new bushing, halfshaft and cover, all torqued to spec, it appears the clunk is finally history. The backlash was finally set correctly too.

Just something to think about if you have clunking issues.

I'm going to go and enjoy my car now!!! :rockon:

when i installed my diff bushings my drivetrain play was virtually gone.. not necessarily the clunk but the 95% of the play in the drivetrain... but now i have gone ot the solid axle swap and almost done with that.. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread