Another clay bar ?

Venom04

Established Member
I've used one sparingly before in problem areas on the car. My qusetion is do you guys rub in the same direction as the car lines meaning front to back of car or up down on the sides? going to do the whole thing soon and just wanted to be sure. Keeping in mind it's black.

gb387

Established Member
I tend to do lines back and forth(really doesn't matter).... I don't really follow a pattern, long as its smooth as glass when I am done. I always follow up with a paint cleaner to remove any swirls or fine scratches.

My Lil' D

Banned
ive heard from a detailing site, forget which one, to do what you just said, im not sure what kind of difference it makes though.

MattP 343

Established Member
gb387 said:
I tend to do lines back and forth(really doesn't matter).... I don't really follow a pattern, long as its smooth as glass when I am done. I always follow up with a paint cleaner to remove any swirls or fine scratches.
are you applying the paint cleaner by hand or with a buffer?

Jim D.

Established Member
Depending on the color and condition of your paint, you don't necessarily need a paint cleaner. Some clay kits, like the Mothers, includes some cleaner wax, which is good enough for most cars that aren't too neglected -- especially lighter colored cars.

You can likely do it all by hand depending on how bad any spiderwebbing may be before you started. (Yes, if you've got enough money & enough paint/clearcoat to "cut" defects with a Porter-Cable and some good cutting pads, that's ideal.)

Some say to clay in "front to back" motions, but pretty much I think it's a personal preference thing. Sometimes, to dislodge stubborn contaminants or to follow a contour, you have to move in various directions.

There's a video at Mothers that I found to be very helpful to explain how easy claying can be. Mothers Clay Video. Instead of terry cloth mentioned in the video, the new microfiber towels work better, of course.

SVT2122

Established Member
Yes, you're supposted to follow the lines of the car with the clay bar. Your also supposted to follow up with a polish or cleaner wax or some sort. The clay bar pulls oxidation and micro-particles out of your paint. The paint is going to feel really really smooth, but the clay bar does not remove swirls or scratch's or any kind. The cleaner wax that comes with the mothers kit helps to get rid or smaller swirling and scractch's, but to fully remove swirls you really need a polish, and preferably a buffer, but your hands can work just as well again on smaller swirls. Once your done polishing you follow up with some wax. I've heard something about glazing before waxing, I have no experience with it, so I wont say anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread