Another cases study in why ICE is not going away

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The EV revolution is not being led by the Chevy Bolt. This POS has issues. There is now a recall to have the cars brought into the Dealership and have an "update" done to the ECU so that the battery can not be charged to more than 90% capacity due to the concerns of a electrical fire. Even after the "update" the customer is informed that the vehicle should not be parked inside and should instead be parked at least 30' away from any structures due to potential fire concerns.
This condition will continue until Chevrolet comes out with a "revised" battery pack that allegedly resolves this "concern".
Lol.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The EV revolution is not being led by the Chevy Bolt. This POS has issues. There is now a recall to have the cars brought into the Dealership and have an "update" done to the ECU so that the battery can not be charged to more than 90% capacity due to the concerns of a electrical fire. Even after the "update" the customer is informed that the vehicle should not be parked inside and should instead be parked at least 30' away from any structures due to potential fire concerns.
This condition will continue until Chevrolet comes out with a "revised" battery pack that allegedly resolves this "concern".
Lol.

I had heard about Bolt issues, but never looked into them. This is a pretty good read. Mirrors everything you've stated, plus a few more eyebrow raising issues.

"If the pieces that we heard are correct, there’s a definite trend. Five of the now seven fires all had charging patterns similar to how people used gas. They let it run down and only charge it once it’s near empty. This sort of cycling is known to be much harder on the battery than shallow discharges. In fact, studies show that shallow discharges with more frequent charges can have significantly less degradation than larger discharges and less frequent charging. This is especially true the higher the state of charge.

But it shouldn’t be dangerous.

With that in mind, here are our recommendations for other owners to reduce their risk, especially if they can’t get the final recall fix applied yet:

• Set a charge limit as low as is reasonable for their daily needs. Ideally no more than 80%, but the lower the better.
  • When at home, plug it in. The car will automatically stop charging at the limit; however, leaving it plugged in means that the computers monitor the battery more often than when unplugged.
  • Ideally park and charge outside.
  • Get the final recall fix applied as soon as possible.
  • Do not let the car sit at full charge for long periods of time, and don’t do full cycles unless you absolutely need to.
  • Make sure that you have a smoke detector in your garage – bonus if it’s a smart one that can alert you."
Full article:

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
That would be terrible being picked up in a climate change causing ICE ambulance. Think I rather slowly bleed out in my post hurricane destroyed house than contribute to global warming white supremacy engines

/s
Vedy guod comrade, there vill be an extra wadka ration vith your monthly allowance.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
One of the main reasons I bought my 7.3L Tremor was I had a feeling it was going to be one of the last big block engines ever produced. I still believe so.

Users who are viewing this thread