Another 8 thread head ?....

dizzygoat

Established Member
I heard that late '02 models got the 8 thread heads. Well, does anyone know exactly when they started doing so in '02, if even at all.
Say a truck was built late May of '02, you think it got the revised heads?
Thanks,
Brad

BriteRed20s

Established Member
If in doubt, remove a plug and count the threads. I used a pick type tool with a 90* bend at the sharp end. Do not drop the tool into the cylinder. Maybe manually rotate the crank to bring the piston up to the top of the bore. Do both sides as I remember someone said they had a 4 thread head on one side and an 8 thread head on the other.

Anyway, I think 03 and 04 had the 8 thread heads.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
its was in the middle of 03 still have 4 thread heads it wasnt till late January or early February when the change was made

dizzygoat

Established Member
thanks guys, i just had someone confirm for me that it was mid '03 that they started getting them. Which is waaay different from my original understanding.
thanks again, i guess if i get this truck first mod will be safe proofing the plugs regardless if im plagued with plug launching. Better safe than sorry right

Brad

dizzygoat

Established Member
Well, looks like this truck isnt going to have the revised heads. With that said, is there any way i can tell if the previous owner has launched plugs, or anything specific i can look for to tell if its been repaired from a launched plug?

LSUstang05

Established Member
thanks guys, i just had someone confirm for me that it was mid '03 that they started getting them. Which is waaay different from my original understanding.
thanks again, i guess if i get this truck first mod will be safe proofing the plugs regardless if im plagued with plug launching. Better safe than sorry right

Brad

From everything I've read on here, the main culprit seems to be either over-torquing or under-torquing the plugs into the heads. I have a 99 and have done quite a few WOT blasts since I got it and haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd bet most people don't launch plugs if they are installed correctly. So I guess the best thing you could do is replace all the plugs once you get a truck and then make sure they are torqued to spec.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Well, looks like this truck isnt going to have the revised heads. With that said, is there any way i can tell if the previous owner has launched plugs, or anything specific i can look for to tell if its been repaired from a launched plug?

if one was launched youll see an insert in the plug hole.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
From everything I've read on here, the main culprit seems to be either over-torquing or under-torquing the plugs into the heads. I have a 99 and have done quite a few WOT blasts since I got it and haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd bet most people don't launch plugs if they are installed correctly. So I guess the best thing you could do is replace all the plugs once you get a truck and then make sure they are torqued to spec.

It's a common problem with a lot of Fords older mod motor cars and trucks. It's not just limited to our trucks. We would see them all the time on Town Car, Grand Marquis & Crown Vic's. I think that we see them more on our trucks due to the power levels and the beatings we give them. There wasn't enough threads to retain the required torque to keep the plugs in place. Anybody that has older heads should make checking to see if their plugs are tight part of their "regular maintenance". It will save you money in the long run if you catch one ahead of time.

dizzygoat

Established Member
This is all good advice! However, im the type of person that would rather be safe than sorry, and not wanna be stranded somewhere cause i launched a #7 plug.
As stupid as this may sound, if i buy this truck first thing im doing will be either a head swap, whether it be aftermarket, or stock '04's i dont know, or the other alternative, what is it time cert? or something like that? I dont know much about the fail proofing methods such as time cert, and theres another one im forgetting, so i will do my research and weigh the costs of each, whichever one i feel most comfortable with will be the one i choose.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
This is all good advice! However, im the type of person that would rather be safe than sorry, and not wanna be stranded somewhere cause i launched a #7 plug.
As stupid as this may sound, if i buy this truck first thing im doing will be either a head swap, whether it be aftermarket, or stock '04's i dont know, or the other alternative, what is it time cert? or something like that? I dont know much about the fail proofing methods such as time cert, and theres another one im forgetting, so i will do my research and weigh the costs of each, whichever one i feel most comfortable with will be the one i choose.

its basic maintenance..i cant be the only one who checks this stuff when im under the hood "freshening up".
As for timecerts...no thanks Get a lock and stitch kit and call it a day if you are that worried...its heads and shoulders above the timecert stuff

dizzygoat

Established Member
i will say this:
A nice set of heads would compliment the ported and pullied blower i plan on doing as soon as i get the truck, along with headers of course. I cant leave anything alone that i drive, its just my nature. Plus, it doesnt help that the first L i rode in was pullied to the sky, and the first L i test drove had a KB, so stock just isnt going to cut it for me. Im afraid that i wont reap the benefits of a ported blower with stock heads, so im going to need something thats gonna let me spin that bad boy, right?
Ah haa, lock n stitch, that was the other one i was thinking of. I def. wont be close minded, and just skip to heads, ill do my fair share of research before pulling the trigger on either or, but im leaning towards heads just cause ill upgrade them in the future anyhow. Why not do it now, while i have the funding for it.
Thank you all, you've been a tremendous help!

Brad

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
i did my plugs the first time took 8 hrs the second time it took 3hrs and when i take my blower off this weekend/next week itll take even less time i suspect. and the time after will be faster yet im installing the COPs easy access screws (or whatever the hell there called i dont remember)

dizzygoat

Established Member
8 hours to change/check plugs? ouch!!!
what is it that takes so long? Are they hard to acces, or is there stuff that MUST be removed in order to check/change them?
What is this "COPs" you speak of?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
8 hours to change/check plugs? ouch!!!
what is it that takes so long? Are they hard to acces, or is there stuff that MUST be removed in order to check/change them?
What is this "COPs" you speak of?

its no better than an LS1 powered f-body.
Also its just faster to pull the blower and change the plugs. Depending on how far i tear it down I can have the blower off in like 30 minutes taking my sweet time. But i like to pull the intake plenum and all the shit and label everything up to and including which bolt goes to which hole....yeah im a nazi about it i know

COPS are the Coil On Plugs...each spark plug has its own ignition coil.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
They are not easy by any means the first time you do them. Each time you do them you will find short cuts and you will get faster at it.

Labor for a standard F 150 with a standard 5.4 is 3 hours just to change the plugs.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
its no better than an LS1 powered f-body.
Also its just faster to pull the blower and change the plugs. Depending on how far i tear it down I can have the blower off in like 30 minutes taking my sweet time. But i like to pull the intake plenum and all the shit and label everything up to and including which bolt goes to which hole....yeah im a nazi about it i know

COPS are the Coil On Plugs...each spark plug has its own ignition coil.

i dunno about the ls1's being THAT bad i remember it took a while but distinctly remember the lightning takin much longer and was much more knuckle bleeding. headers on the ls1 were a complete PIA.

you just gave me a great idea though YELLOW PAINT PEN im gonna mark all my bolts and everything too just to make sure it goes together right. nothing wrong with being a nazi about some things! :thumbsup:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
i dunno about the ls1's being THAT bad i remember it took a while but distinctly remember the lightning takin much longer and was much more knuckle bleeding. headers on the ls1 were a complete PIA.

you just gave me a great idea though YELLOW PAINT PEN im gonna mark all my bolts and everything too just to make sure it goes together right. nothing wrong with being a nazi about some things! :thumbsup:

my brothers car has long tubes...ive seen what he has to mess with...ill take my truck LOL
When I do my bolts I actually make sure each bolt goes back in its same hole...even tho I know the they are all the same i want it back the way it came out. Im very anal about things like this

Users who are viewing this thread