Annoying door/window rattle - please help

SVTKen

Established Member
I've brought my car to the dealer and they have attempted to repair an annoying rattle from the driver-side door/window THREE times now. Unfortunately, nothing they have done has fixed the problem. It's as if they did nothing at all, but they say they have done work such as replacing a clip and some other parts. Every time they claim to have fixed it and I drive away, the rattle is still there and it's driving me crazy now. My car has had this problem for over 2 years, and it may have been there from the beginning and it just took some time for me to notice. If I accelerate over rough road, potholes, railroad tracks or anything like that the rattle is pretty loud.

Do you guys have any idea about what the problem may be so I can tell the dealer and then maybe they can actually repair it?

Thank you very much.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Are you sure that it's the door and not the driver power seat mechanism? I mean if yours has power seat. Mine was making an annoying noise until I figured out that it came from under the seat really close to the door. So I tapped the power seat button to raise the seat like for a fraction of a second and the noise went away. Good luck.

SVTKen

Established Member
Are you sure that it's the door and not the driver power seat mechanism? I mean if yours has power seat. Mine was making an annoying noise until I figured out that it came from under the seat really close to the door. So I tapped the power seat button to raise the seat like for a fraction of a second and the noise went away. Good luck.

My car has the Recaro seats, so there's no power mechanism.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Take the door panel off and check. The window and lock moves freely with no issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redline

Established Member
i would take panel off and drive it .see if noise still continues

Imatk

Established Member
It's possible it's not coming from your door at all. It can be hard to determine where a sound like that is coming from.

It may be:

A-Pillar
Dash (corner of windshield)
Seat

That's where I would look next.

Basically you need to just drive around and try and press against things to get it to stop. Not very elegant but that's how I've found many of the rattles that have plagued my cars.

One time it wound up being a home-link button on the mirror... THAT one was a PITA to find!

Stetler17

Established Member
Long shot...On my daughters V6 the drivers window rattled and I pulled the plastic plug that is down at the bottom of the door panel, there was a 10mm nut behind it and it was about ready to fall off. Been quiet since.

It's almost like they knew it wouldn't stay tight and made an access hole from the factory. Never been so lucky before and probably never again.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Well, I'm almost embarrassed to post this but I had a similar issue - darn rattle from my door area when I cranked up the music. Couldn't figure out for the life of me where it was coming from. I was pressing against everything to find the source.

Turns out I had a bunch of crap in my door pocket such as hang tags, plastic chewing gum holder, couple metal clips, various junk nad papers. Emptied it out completely and it stopped, lol. :bash: I felt stupid but it happens, anything in that pocket will/can rattle also.

SVTKen

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. It only happens when I hit harsh bumps while accelerating, so it may be difficult to press against things while I'm doing that.
Nothing but napkins are inside the little side pocket, so no worries about that.

I'll see what's behind that plastic plug at the bottom of the door panel. I hope it's something simple like that. I'm surprised the dealer hasn't figured it out. They've looked at it 3 times now, and replaced parts, but the rattle won't go away.

It's definitely not the dash or the seat. The rattle is coming from right next to my head, either from the door, window or A-pillar.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Occaissionally I had a rattle on the passenger side. I took the door the door panel off and found a small rubber ring that goes around the door lock shaft. It slid down enough that the metal shaft was vibrating against the either the door metal or the panel. I slid it up. It acts like a spacer to center the shaft. I believe that because the door locks go up and down so frequently that the rubber ring works itself down the shaft and that causes enough play that the shaft vibrated against the the panel or door. After the second time. I moved the rubber ring up and wrapped some electrical tape under it to prevent it from sliding down. Been good since. Hope that helps.

bmckevs

Did you ride with a Technician at the dealer? If not I would insist on riding with the tech and making sure he hears the rattle you are talking about. There will be a much better chance of it getting fixed once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread