ANG Questions

Broke

Established Member
I've been researching the Air National Guard and I'm lost. How would someone keep a full time professional civilian life and still keep up with the "one week end a month 2 weeks a year" deal? Not to mention being deployed.

Next, can you negotiate rank out of BMT in your contract with college credits I already have? I'm 25 btw.

How does the base you report to work if your in the Guard? Meaning if the closest base is a long distance away how would that work? I know the job you do effects this.

Also let me add, I'm doing a lot of my own research before stepping foot into a recruiters office. I want to go into it will as much info as I can.

I have a lot more questions but ill start off with those.

Also, I'm thinking about loadmaster or something along those lines if I score for it.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I've been researching the Air National Guard and I'm lost. How would someone keep a full time professional civilian life and still keep up with the "one week end a month 2 weeks a year" deal? Not to mention being deployed. You take on the responsibility and go...IT can be extremely taxing if you are in a leadership role.

Next, can you negotiate rank out of BMT in your contract with college credits I already have? I'm 25 btw. Depending on credit hours, you can come in as high as an E-4 in the Army

How does the base you report to work if your in the Guard? Meaning if the closest base is a long distance away how would that work? I know the job you do effects this. You usually don't report to actual bases. You report to local guard facilities. Every city with a population over 25k usually has at least one. Chances are one will be within 50 miles of you.

Also let me add, I'm doing a lot of my own research before stepping foot into a recruiters office. I want to go into it will as much info as I can.

I have a lot more questions but ill start off with those.

Also, I'm thinking about loadmaster or something along those lines if I score for it.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not air guard but im pretty familiar with Army NG and Reserves so I attempted to answer some.

You can talk to a recruiter for local installations.

Jebadias

Established Member
I will try to answer your questions from my experience.

I've been researching the Air National Guard and I'm lost. How would someone keep a full time professional civilian life and still keep up with the "one week end a month 2 weeks a year" deal? Not to mention being deployed.

It really depends on your civilian job and your military job. If you are lucky enough to work the traditional 9-5 job and your reserve unit only drills one weekend a month and you only do one 2 week AT a year then it is a no brainer, all you have to do is show up.

If your unit drills in a non-traditional fasion, like the 4-2-0 method some units do, or if you work weekends then you will miss work and have to hope that your employer is good with it.

Next, can you negotiate rank out of BMT in your contract with college credits I already have? I'm 25 btw.

This happens a lot as a recruiting incentive. What you can actually get will change depending on the military's need. A recruiter will be up to date on what his branch can offer you.

How does the base you report to work if your in the Guard? Meaning if the closest base is a long distance away how would that work? I know the job you do effects this.

As stated above, some reserve units drill away from base and may be near you. For certain branches or jobs it is not uncommon for a member to have to provide thier own transportation to bases hundreds of miles away. This is something to consider when choosing a Rating/MOS.

I have worked in embark and it is not a bad gig. I have not been to loadmaster school but my friends who have been to it enjoyed it.

Thanks for any help.

Keep in mind that different branches and units run differently. Please ask any questions you have but the best source of information is the members of the unit you intend to join. If possible speak to a few of them to get a feel for the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread