And next best thing is.......

sqidd

Established Member
Cams.

I can not belive I have not heard anything about cams. You would think they would be easy to do considering they are on top of the heads. Does anyone know if there is something overly complicated in swaping cams in this motor? Do you need any special tools? I would think you do not even need to drain the coolant or remove the intake. Am I wrong? Does anyone know who has blower cams for this motor? How much do they cost? What kind of gains can be expected? Most of you guys seem pretty resourceful so I would think that if we put our heads together this could be the next best thing. I would be more than willing to try a set on my car if I can gather enough information.

sqidd

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I heard swapping out the cams is a very tedious job and would cost over $1200 to have someone else do the task. I think I will keep my internals just the way they are. I mean that is why this car is so great---the warranty!!! I will stick to the reversible bolt ons.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
That is an interesting thought. I think I read SVT retuned the cams for midrange torque from 2001. What if you put in some 2001 cams to resotre high end power and then added a pulley and chip for midrange torque? Does anyone think we could flatten out the latter part of the torque curve? It drops off pretty hard on all those cars with pulleys and chips. May lose some low end torque but should see monster HP and could bump the rev limited back up to 7k.

What do you guys think?

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
I don't think cams/heads will become an issue until people start to have them become restrictions, which is not the case right now. The biggest thing right now is the blower itself becoming inefficient. Once the Kenne Bell blower comes out, then you will probably see people getting their heads ported and cams being made. Maybe.

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
i agree with you venom the kenny bell (autorotor) s/c will be the beging of a efficent blower (21pounds +)

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
Yup, the Autorotor is a pretty sweet unit. I'd also like to see a Lyscholm (sp?) style unit come out. An example of that would be the blower on the S281-E.

Users who are viewing this thread