Analyzing the GT 5.4 (redline)

fordification

Established Member
Something really confuses me. I was reading the SAE technical specs, and it says they did a stress analysis on the connecting rods @ 7000rpm, and made some adjustment in the tapered shape of the small end of the rod, and decided on the proper steel. Now, the graphs show a projected number of over 600hp at 7000, but the official redline is only 6500.

My question is, are they under rating the redline just for engine safety? And why isn't it capable of reaching higher rpms then the new Vettes 7.0L or Vipers 8.3? Shouldn't the OHC design excel in this area? And from what it sounds like, the rods are the only limitations.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
This is purely a guess on my part, but I can't help but to think that because of how many Mustang owners have modified their engines over the years, that Ford might have very well adopted a practice of underrating the redline of the engines in their vehicles in anticipation of many of their customers raising the rev limiters w/chips. I know that the GT is certainly no Mustang, however I can't help but to think that this might have to do with a company wide policy for Ford. Again, this is just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread