An old fart needs some help

Redwing

Established Member
I guess my age is beginning to show. I am finding the sound from my Stingers just a tad bothersome. Not on the outside, but when I'm driving, especially on the highway.Any ideas about sound insulation or sound proofing the car? Prhaps we could use expanding foam, or some accoustic padding, or some such?
Also, there seems to be a lot of noise coming up from the shift lever boot. Any suggestions?
I definitely don't want to quiet the car down outside: it sounds just like a Mustang should!!
Steve

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
For the exhaust, you can look search for "baffles" on this site. This will give you some good purchase & adaption idea's to fit your system. I think Bassini sells them, and they can be modified to fit other systems.

For the shifter, I happened to have a collection of "best practices" I previously clipped from posts on this forum (below):

I bought a yard of the best carpet underliner from Hom Depot and cut pieces to go around the shifter, then layered a piece over the top of the shifter. This quieted things down considerably. You might want to try this if your shifter is still too loud.

3 oz. of Jeg's Automatic (yes Alice...automatic) Drag tranny additive and a Metallica CD on low shuts it right up after 200+ miles. I believe it's the anti foaming agent in the stuff that does the trick. No kidding , really works! Learned about it right here in SVT Chatland.

I used a 1/8 thick sheet of High Temp silicone, made a gasket and put it between the base and the shifter. It's better than stock. A story should be out in up coming issue of 5.0

Welcome, if your that worried get some AMSOIL ATF tranny fluid, that quited mine down some and improved shifting.
Just one of those cobra things, I'll deal with a low 20mph noise and a near in-destructable tranny besides the TOB issues.

I've got the same sound, although it got quite a bit quieter when I had the fluid changed to Royal Purple SynchroMax, plus it then shifted easier, even in the bitter cold. What I don't understand is why this tranny is so whiney all the time. I drive my brother's Vette all the time, and I cannot hear his T-56 at all. Mine sounds like there is nothing between it and the interior. Why is that?

You could try stretching the inner rubber cover over your new shifter but I just got used to it myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I just did on my new Mach 1 this past weekend - worked like a charm! Tranny is as quiet as stock.

Another thing to try is "Rubatex" foam rubber insulation tape.
It's 1/8" thick & 2" wide, is made for insulating pipes & such, and is flexibe & tough.
I used it on my '01 Cobra's Tri-Ax to quiet it down (it was VERY noisey without it ) Wrapped it around the boot from the tranny to the shifter handle. This stuff is tough, flexible & quiets-down noisey tranny's.
You can get it at Lowes for ~ $6.00/30 ft roll.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
THere is also a thread if you search for it where somone found the db rating of some insulation and pulled the whole carpet out and did the car.

He said he doesnt even have a drone at 2,000. There was lots of pics for you to see.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
Dynamatting the car could be VERY expensive. The cheapest solution is baffles or replace the exhaust.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Another thing to try is "Rubatex" foam rubber insulation tape.
It's 1/8" thick & 2" wide, is made for insulating pipes & such, and is flexibe & tough.
I used it on my '01 Cobra's Tri-Ax to quiet it down (it was VERY noisey without it ) Wrapped it around the boot from the tranny to the shifter handle. This stuff is tough, flexible & quiets-down noisey tranny's.

Did this too... Works like a charm. Also installed some rubber washers for the shifter handle. It's almost as quiet as stock.

AMSOIL ATF is my next step.... (20K Miles)

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Steve,, There has to be someone out there that thinks there Exhaust is too Quiet(MAGNAFLOW<BASSANI<STEEDA ETC.) and would prefer the Stinger Mufflers..
Find this guy and go to Muffler shop and swap out the Mufflers..You both keep your catbacks and Exchange the Sound..
The Pipeing's are all the same..

ObieFox

Established Member
Steve, If you swap cat backs, go with the Bassani. With the baffles in it is very quite inside my vert and you can easily take them out when you want to make a little more noise. BTW, Nice meeting you at the mod-shootout in Columbus. Your tips on decking materials have come in handy! ;)

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread