Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C recommendation

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hello fellow Mustang owners. Amsoil finally decided enough Ford vehicles were on the streets and track to formulate a Signature Series lubricant that meets API SN and Ford WSS-M2C931-C requirements. This is a big deal for those who are worried about not having Ford's recommended SAE lubricant in their Mustang.

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

This is the only known lubricant to carry Ford's recommendation code other than Motorcraft 5W-50.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

This also means Amsoil's Warranty will now cover your Condor, Roadrunner, or Coyote engine that is spec'd for 5W-50.

I will edit my recommendation for the Boss 302, Track Pack GT, and GT500 vehicles used on closed course tracks and for those who do not want anything else in their Mustang except 5W-50.

Preferred Customers can purchase this formulation for $8.15 per quart or $92.85 per case (12 quarts). Amsoil's EaO11 oil filter is recommended for your application.

Looks like we have another new lubricant to test in the GT500 UOA Thread. With Amsoil's desire to produce only the best formulation possible, I'd assume it's more shear resistant than Motorcraft 5W-50. However, only time and testing will tell.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Excellent news!
Wondered where the hell you have been!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
UB, so what about us street/drag gt500 guys? Thought we were using the 10w30/40 as the 5w50 created high oil pressure and sheared quickly down to a 40 weight anyway.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UB, so what about us street/drag gt500 guys? Thought we were using the 10w30/40 as the 5w50 created high oil pressure and sheared quickly down to a 40 weight anyway.

I would not change what you are doing on the street, 5W-50 oil pressure under normal conditions is excessive. This is a good thing for GT500 owners who were afraid to use anything other than 5W-50. However, I expect Amsoil 5W-50 to shear less than Castrol and a lot less than Motorcraft 5W-50.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I would not change what you are doing on the street, 5W-50 oil pressure under normal conditions is excessive. This is a good thing for GT500 owners who were afraid to use anything other than 5W-50. However, I expect Amsoil 5W-50 to shear less than Castrol and a lot less than Motorcraft 5W-50.

Ok because I have had good results with the Amsoil 10w30 and noticed the new 5w50 has double the viscosity. Quite a big difference and I'm sure the new 5w50 won't shear at all like the motorcraft does. At least it will save some guys money that use it doìng a oil change once a year instead of 3-4 times at the dealer with an outrageous mark up.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If their motor oil is as good as their Signature Series ATF, I'm definitely interested!

TexasRoe

Devil Dog
Established Member
This thread is going to get good. My popcorn is ready. Interested to see how this stacks up against the GT500 100 page UOA....

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If their motor oil is as good as their Signature Series ATF, I'm definitely interested!

Yes, it is. Buy it....and upgrade. You will be glad you did, and question why you didn't do it sooner.

This thread is going to get good. My popcorn is ready. Interested to see how this stacks up against the GT500 100 page UOA....

For those who currently use ONLY Motorcraft 5W-50, here is what you will gain by switching to Amsoil's new 5W-50 formulation.

• With a NOACK volatility low as 7.4%, it will evaporate half as much as Motorcraft. This means your oil separators will have less to deal with. If you don't have an oil separator, less oil will coat your intake, supercharger, intercooler, etc.
  • Detergent additives are high end, premium, and you will only have to change your lubricant once per year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. No more 5,000 or less mile oil changes with Motorcraft (or every 6 months). You save $$$$
  • True synthetic base oils have a lower friction coefficient. Less friction means less engine heat and a decrease in wear.
  • You will notice your engine starts easier on cold mornings. The formulation will flow better, lubricating better when cold.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Yes, it is. Buy it....and upgrade. You will be glad you did, and question why you didn't do it sooner.

I'm running the Royal Purple, but really like Amsoil. Glad so see they made this formulation. From what I've read here, the RP, isn't that great?!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm running the Royal Purple, but really like Amsoil. Glad so see they made this formulation. From what I've read here, the RP, isn't that great?!

The new Royal Purple formulations are suspected to be group III hydrocracked base oils with an added group V base oil both from Calumet. Their formulations shear, and is NOT the characteristics of a true synthetic base oil. When Royal Purple's products was put into the new bottle, the formulation was cheapened from it's original state. I no longer consider it top tier.

Click and read this

Last edited:

vipboy28

Established Member
So can a street car run the 5-50 or should we stick with the 10-30?

Great Question!! I also use stock motor oil. I currently do not drive the car in weather under 40 degrees. Should i switch to Amsoil 5w-50 or go with the 10-30 (no track time YET, looking to do a few times this year)

Mods:
NGK Copper Plugs
JLT 127mm CAI
VMP Pulley 2.50"
Tune

Later this year mods are
Tstat, heat exchanger, UCR & Mounts and LCR

Black Sex

Established Member

For those who currently use ONLY Motorcraft 5W-50, here is what you will gain by switching to Amsoil's new 5W-50 formulation.

• With a NOACK volatility low as 7.4%, it will evaporate half as much as Motorcraft. This means your oil separators will have less to deal with. If you don't have an oil separator, less oil will coat your intake, supercharger, intercooler, etc.
  • Detergent additives are high end, premium, and you will only have to change your lubricant once per year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. No more 5,000 or less mile oil changes with Motorcraft (or every 6 months). You save $$$$
  • True synthetic base oils have a lower friction coefficient. Less friction means less engine heat and a decrease in wear.
  • You will notice your engine starts easier on cold mornings. The formulation will flow better, lubricating better when cold.

Do people with cars like ours really do 5 or 15K oil changes?
I still change mine at 2500-3k. I wont even run my Tacoma 5k miles on one oil change

Users who are viewing this thread