Amsoil MTG in my 2013 5.0

shark77

Established Member
I have a 2013 5.0 with 3.73's and Brembo's. The car is awesome, but my only minor complaint is the MT82 whines in 1st-4th. The whine isn't super loud, but with the music and the air down low you can hear it. It's only there during acceleration, all other times it's whine free. Other than the occasional 2-3 lockout when shifting at redline, my MT82 has always shifted smoothly. I put an MGW shifter in a couple of months ago and that seemed to make the 2-3 shift easier. I put copious amounts of dynamat down when installing the MGW, so my NVH only increased slightly over the stock shifter.

Anyways, I decided to put in Amsoil MTG to see if that would help the whine. I noticed an immediate difference in my first drive after changing out the stock fluid. I would estimate that the whine decreased by at least 50% - I was actually pretty amazed. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but I swear the car shifts smoother as well. Granted I live in SoCal, but even this morning after the car sat overnight there were absolutely no issues with the 1-2 shift.

As other's have mentioned, the stock fluid was disgusting compared to the Amsoil stuff. It looked dirty and smelled horribly. My car has 9k miles on it, but by that fluid I would swear it has close to 100k. Also, I think my MT82 was over filled from the factory - my catch container read a tad over 3 quarts after the drain. Not sure if that would have an impact on anything or not.

So bottom line, I highly recommend the Amsoil MTG. It decreased my whine and increased shifting smoothness. I also bought the Amsoil fluid transfer kit when I bought the MTG, which made pumping in the new fluid a breeze - I would estimate 10 minutes max to put the 2.7 qts back into the system.

I'm now considering putting new gear lube in my differential. My 3.73's make a quiet but noticable whirring (definitely not a whine) when cruising (only noticable with the radio off). I wonder if a high quality fluid would have any effect on that?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
glad to here that worked good know for future reference

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil MTG transmission fluid is an excellent choice for the MT-82 in warm to hot climates. We use it here in Florida in most 2011+ Mustang GT.

For those who live in colder climates, use the slightly less viscous Amsoil MTF.

OP, in your rear differential, use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 and 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip Lock friction modifier.

*If you have a Torsen differential, Slip Lock additive is NOT required. Only clutch pack type differentials require it.*

Last edited:

corruptor

Established Member
Good to know. Will consider Amsoil MTF when the time comes to swap out my tranny fluid (running BG Synchro Shift II and don't have many complaints). Have been looking for rear diff fluid recommendations, so this is helpful.

Amsoil MTG transmission fluid is an excellent choice for the MT-82 in warm to hot climates. We use it here in Florida in most 2011+ Mustang GT.

For those who live in colder climates, use the slightly less viscous Amsoil MTF.

OP, in your rear differential, use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 and 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip Lock friction modifier.

*If you have a Torsen differential, Slip Lock additive is NOT required. Only clutch pack type differentials require it.*

shark77

Established Member

Beast, thanks for the info on the differential fluid. I will definitely be trying that out. It was your recommendations on s197forum that made me try the MTG to begin with.

Good to know. Will consider Amsoil MTF when the time comes to swap out my tranny fluid (running BG Synchro Shift II and don't have many complaints). Have been looking for rear diff fluid recommendations, so this is helpful.

I was on the fence between redline MTL and Amsoil MTG - I read countless reviews from the forums and did lots of research on the viscosity differences. I was really worried the MTG would be too thick, but after 3 days of driving I can't believe I was ever concerned. Also, the whine is continuing to decrease as well. I have about 150 miles on the MTG and in all honesty, I really have to listen to hear any whine at all. At this point I really just think I'm hearing normal noise from the internals.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Any idea why Amsoil doesn't include friction modifier in their formulation?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Any idea why Amsoil doesn't include friction modifier in their formulation?

It is included, but at a lower % in the formulation. I discovered in my personal GT500 that Severe Gear alone wasn't enough to prevent clutch pack noise making sharp turns. Adding at least 2 ounces of Slip Lock (1/2 bottle) was enough to make the clutch pack quiet. For a performance car, it's OK to run Severe Gear without it, but there will be those who complain about the noise around sharp corners at slow speeds.

So at what temp does the MTG not work well in?

In Florida, during the winter months as temps are near freezing, those using MTG reported that their transmission was a bit notchy the first 5 minutes of driving. However, when the transmission was allowed to warm up it shifts like butter despite the ambient temperature.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It is included, but at a lower % in the formulation. I discovered in my personal GT500 that Severe Gear alone wasn't enough to prevent clutch pack noise making sharp turns. Adding at least 2 ounces of Slip Lock (1/2 bottle) was enough to make the clutch pack quiet. For a performance car, it's OK to run Severe Gear without it, but there will be those who complain about the noise around sharp corners at slow speeds.

In Florida, during the winter months as temps are near freezing, those using MTG reported that their transmission was a bit notchy the first 5 minutes of driving. However, when the transmission was allowed to warm up it shifts like butter despite the ambient temperature.

Well being in norcal which fluid would you recommend for the 2013 MT82?

Swiftoy

Established Member
Well being in norcal which fluid would you recommend for the 2013 MT82?

Another option is BG Syncroshift 2 many people including myself have had success with using this fluid. It is every so slightly less viscous than the Amsoil MTF. I am also in Nor Cal. BG is I believe 8.5 at 100°C cSt and the Amsoil MTF is 9.7 at 100°C cSt.

Funny thing is in all the reading I have done on fluids for this gearbox I have seen very few people try the Amsoil MTF. Most seem to use Redline MTL, Amsoil MTG, BG. I'm not sure why as it is an excellent fluid. I may try this as well when it is time to do it again. I have used this fluid in another vehicle with great results. Good stuff.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You have the option to use either. If you are a casual driver or street law breaker, MTF.....road course racing, MTG.

Another option is BG Syncroshift 2 many people including myself have had success with using this fluid. It is every so slightly less viscous than the Amsoil MTF. I am also in Nor Cal. BG is I believe 8.5 at 100°C cSt and the Amsoil MTF is 9.7 at 100°C cSt.

Funny thing is in all the reading I have done on fluids for this gearbox I have seen very few people try the Amsoil MTF. Most seem to use Redline MTL, Amsoil MTG, BG. I'm not sure why as it is an excellent fluid. I may try this as well when it is time to do it again. I have used this fluid in another vehicle with great results. Good stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread