Amsoil 10-40 for a street driven, no winter Boss 302?

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Been reading a ton of oil threads, there's certainly no shortage of them... After originally considering Motorcraft Oil and Ford Racing filter, I'm now leaning towards Amsoil instead, based on all the research I've read so far. Now if I've been able to comprehend the information offered by UnleashedBeast, that once I am done with the engine break in period on my 2013 Boss that will arrive in a few months, Amsoil 10-40 would be a good choice for a street use with no cold weather start ups / winter driving?

Also, has there been anything to really merit the dumping of the factory oil after just 1k miles? Is the logic here to quickly remove all of the 'brand new engine' particulates that would be circulating in the engine? Are some of these particulates too small to be caught by the stock OEM filter and thus it's worthwhile to dump it at 1k, especially if you are going to use Amsoil filters that offer better filtration?

I will be doing all my own oil changes so I'm really not worried about not using Motorcraft. I found the whole 'Royal Purple not API certified hoopla' way overblown. At least from more reading here, you discover that it's politics as much as anything that comes from a lab test can determine what label your product has.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I've recently switched to the Amsoil 10w-40 high zinc formulation in my Terminator. I HPDE my car ~2-3 times each summer. The Blackstone oil reports from the Amsoil oil show a marked improvement in oil health and debris generation vs. Mobil 1 5w-30. I use a Mobil 1 filter for two years and change the oil every spring. I drive around 1500 miles per year.

SVTDice

Established Member
@Relaxed Chaos 40 Weight in a Terminator? That's a bit thick for the close PTW don't you think? By the way a few things I want to point out. I always thought it was the other way around. Replace the filter and keep the oil. I've heard of some people replacing the filter every 3000-5000 and replacing with a fresh quart of oil with good results.

Anyways, to OP! Amsoil 10w40 Is a very good choice. Make sure you spring for the AMO. Its a very good oil. Paired with an EaO Oil filter and you have a combination that is second to none. If you are not seeing sub zero temps in your boss you are completely fine with 10w40.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I do not agree 100% with the Amsoil AZO 0W-30 recommendation for the OP's 2013 Boss 302. It would be fine in his engine if he wasn't road racing, but if he intends to, Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is the better choice.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 has better cold flow properties than Motorcraft 5W-50, as SAE numbers on the side of a lubricant bottle are very misleading. MC 5W-50 is actually more like a 20W-50 until it shears, which will be in the first 2,000 miles.

Amsoil EaO 17 oil filters will filter at a smaller micron more effectively than the FL-820 or 500S filters can. That being said, there is more than one benefit to remove the factory oil and filter at a low mileage (1,000-1,500).

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

and please, never pay retail for Amsoil. Buy it at dealer cost with their preferred customer program.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
I'm sorry Unleashed, I made a awful mistake. I didn't realize that Amsoil did not make a 10w40 AZO Formulation, In that specific weight.

So my apologizes. I'll change my post. Thanks for catching that for me!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey man, its no problem at all.

AZO 0W-30 is a very successful lubricant in any Ford modular calling for a 5W-20. That being said, the Coyote loves it for street use. The Road Runner would be fine with it assuming there were no road racing using it.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I will not be racing my Boss, or at least I don't plan to this year. I actually got a a very pleasant surprise driving home from work this Thursday afternoon. My dealer called me and when I recognized his voice, I got nervous... Why is he calling me now about my Q3 order? Is there some kind of screw up? Did it get canceled at the factory or pushed back to Q4?

No! Order was pulled early! :dancenana:

Here I was just hoping and praying that my Q3 would get built in the first month of Q3 production in July, and now the fates have smiled upon me and my order was pulled May 24th, my VIN showed online yesterday, and I have a build date of June 7.

I've been waiting all my life to have something this special, so now that it's finally happening, I want nothing but the best for my Boss Mustang. I'm also lucky that the mods I will add that require the longest lead time (5-6 wks) for the MGW shifter & Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS have already been ordered. Will be quite an exciting day when my neighbor (master mechanic) helps me install the MGW, DS, GT500 axle backs, and Goodridge SS brake lines.

And now... back on topic.

I do plan on using the preferred customer program, and use AMOQT-EA for maximum performance & protection along with EA017 filters.

I must say, that in many years of reading forums, the topic 'which oil & why' has to be one of the most hotly debated and contested that I've ever seen. The most humorous part is when all the misinformation starts flowing. Was going to bring up lab testing, but will save that for another thread.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Congrats on the new car. Here is more in depth information for you.

Now if I've been able to comprehend the information offered by UnleashedBeast, that once I am done with the engine break in period on my 2013 Boss that will arrive in a few months, Amsoil 10-40 would be a good choice for a street use with no cold weather start ups / winter driving?

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is actually less viscous in cold weather than Motorcraft 5W-50. SAE numbers on the outside of a lubricant bottle are very misleading. When you see the first number as "5W" then compare it to "10W", it's easy to assume that the "5W" will flow better in cold weather than "10W". This isn't always the case. There are many factors that effect this, the most important being base stock type. True synthetics thicken less in colder weather than petroleum does. Use the graph below to see the difference of viscosity at temperatures down to 0*C (32*F).

Take note that both "5W-50" lubricants are MORE viscous at 0*C (32*F)
oilgradesbefore.jpg

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 will offer far better cold weather cranking protection than Motorcraft 5W-50 can. Be confident that you can use it year round.

I must say, that in many years of reading forums, the topic 'which oil & why' has to be one of the most hotly debated and contested that I've ever seen. The most humorous part is when all the misinformation starts flowing. Was going to bring up lab testing, but will save that for another thread.

I agree, there is a lot of misinformation available about engine lubricants on the internet. That's why I use lab data to show forum members what works, what doesn't work, and why.

We can talk about lab testing here, just ask what you want to see...and you shall have it. You can see from the link below....we test oil around here.

2007+ GT500 UOA thread

I wish we had more samples from the Coyote and Roadrunner engines, but members are a bit sluggish catching on to lab testing.

2012+ Boss 302 UOA thread

2011+ Mustang GT UOA thread

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Thanks for the thread links.

I thought the vitriol I saw on other threads was bad, but the thread about DOT-4 brake fluid was a rather interesting read...

I thought the other poster was over the top in the various phrasing, adjectives, tone, and numeric list of why you 'bleepety bleep bleep, and bleep bleep'.

Ok, so brand X brake fluid gives a better bang for the buck than Amsoil. Great.

You happen to like, support, and actively recommend their motor oils and filters. Nothing wrong with that. However, it seems that falling in the category of 'Amsoil fanboi' regarding a brake fluid posting from another site without all of the hardcore/can't argue with plain facts lab test data, had someone with an axe to grind ready to pounce. HAH! GOT YOU NOW!

But the manner in which the information was presented was, um, I think 'confrontational' is the word. Could have been debated, presented, refuted, discussed in a much more civil manner than what was posted. Oh well, such is life on the internet, bleep happens. I just joined this forum and don't know anyone here from Adam, no allegiances with any perceived 'side'. Just thought I'd throw out this personal observation from that train wreck of a thread. Sorry for going OT on this one... I would have just sent a PM, but the user CP only allows a 'public message' ? wth is that ? So I'm putting in my 2c here.

Props for not getting antagonistic. It's easy to be right, but harder to be gracious or more mature when faced with an internet tough guy that seems to want to bait or otherwise encourage a flame war. The data presented regarding the ATE fluid was very insightful, and is making me reconsider my initial choice of Motul DOT-4. I sincerely wish that the manner in which the ATE fluid was purported to be superior to the Amsoil fluid was done in much more amicable fashion.

If that was the case, the 'rest of us' on the forum win. Well informed, experienced, and qualified gurus, SMEs, and professionals that share their views and opinions give the rest of us a huge advantage to not make costly mistakes. But if that's how it is, whatever.

I will get back to you on lab testing on the Road Runner in another thread.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nice post Ace, good stuff, and thank you. We are here to help each other, not bash.

ATE Super Blue brake fluid is probably the best value on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread