Amsoil 0/30 AZO or 10/30 ATM

Swiftoy

Established Member
I'm getting ready for the first change in my 2012 GT and I have already decided long ago I'm not going the 20wt route. I have used Amsoil 10/30 ATM in the past and it is a great oil and I am contemplating using it in the Mustang but I keep looking at the 0/30 AZO. I know on paper the ATM is the better. I just want to make sure on cold starts things get flowing as soon as possible. Opinions please.

Thanks, Swiftoy

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I like 5w30 in 5.0s. If you want to use 10w30 I wouldn't worry about the cold. It's not going to get cold enough in your area to worry about cold pouring of a premium synthetic.

Swiftoy

Established Member
You know what your probably right. Not to mention any 30 weight flavor of this oil would be fine. More just me over thinking things I guess. :-D

Swiftoy

Established Member
The 10/30 ATM was what I used in my last vehicle and my UOA's were always excellent. When I saw the recommendation for this car was a 5/20 oil I was actually shocked and the fact that Ford had a spec attached to it bothered me for a bit. No doubt a quality syn 20wt oil would most likely be fine but driven hard I want the extra protection the 30wt offers. I'm not to concerned about the warranty aspect as some are. Anyway thanks for the reassurance gentlemen.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 10/30 ATM was what I used in my last vehicle and my UOA's were always excellent. When I saw the recommendation for this car was a 5/20 oil I was actually shocked and the fact that Ford had a spec attached to it bothered me for a bit. No doubt a quality syn 20wt oil would most likely be fine but driven hard I want the extra protection the 30wt offers. I'm not to concerned about the warranty aspect as some are. Anyway thanks for the reassurance gentlemen.

If you're comfortable with that one that's what I'd stick with.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I use the azo 0w30 in my 2012 gt but I live in Michigan were we can get some cold long winters. This summer was record breaking hot here for a couple of months so I kind of wish I would of went with the 5 or 10w just for the summer and then switch to the 0w for the winter. Idk

Swiftoy

Established Member
I use the azo 0w30 in my 2012 gt but I live in Michigan were we can get some cold long winters. This summer was record breaking hot here for a couple of months so I kind of wish I would of went with the 5 or 10w just for the summer and then switch to the 0w for the winter. Idk

I wouldn't be to concerned using the AZO in the summer. For reference the 10/30 ATM's HTHS is 3.2 the AZO is 3.1 the NOACK for the ATM is 5.7% and the AZO is 7.8%. The ATM is slightly better and if you are using oil then the ATM might help, the volatility percentage loss is a bit better with the ATM. No need to fear the protection is there.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I wouldn't be to concerned using the AZO in the summer. For reference the 10/30 ATM's HTHS is 3.2 the AZO is 3.1 the NOACK for the ATM is 5.7% and the AZO is 7.8%. The ATM is slightly better and if you are using oil then the ATM might help, the volatility percentage loss is a bit better with the ATM. No need to fear the protection is there.

Agreed, I've been very surprised at AZO's resilience. It's one tough cookie, and still has lower NOACK than all formulations of Mobil 1.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Thanks for the replys, I have another question for you guys. I have been running mobile one 10w30 in my wifes 2002 pontiac grand prix gt since we bought it 5 years ago. It had 60,000 miles on it at the time, now it has 150,000. The car still runs good but does have an annoying lifter tick and burns 1-2 quarts every 3000 miles. Would you recommend upgrading to amsoil ATM 10w30 or would it be an overkill for this car? We want it to last as long as possible, I keep up on all the maintenance related items like fluids and filters as well as I keep the car real clean.

Swiftoy

Established Member
Just a thought but why not try using Mobil 1 5/30 or 10/30 high mileage. It's cheaper I believe than the Extended Perfomance if that's what your currently using and it is a good oil. It might consume less then what you are currently seeing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
His car is consuming oil, not leaking....don't know that high mileage oils would help him much. The big sales pitch is seal conditioners in high mileage oils. When consumption is an issue, a lubricant with a lower NOACK is key.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 has 50% lower NOACK than Mobil 1.

Swiftoy

Established Member
I recommended the M1 HM oil since I used this in an older vehicle with a lot of miles that was using oil, not leaking or seeping oil through seals and it cut down on the consumption. So in my real world experience it worked well and it is a cheaper solution than using the ATM. That is why I said it MIGHT work in my case it did, and you are most certainly correct a lower NOACK is better. For my case I couldn't justify the cost of the Amsoil in such an old vehicle with 200k+ miles that I have to keep topping off.

Users who are viewing this thread