Amplifier Power Wire insallatoin

ShadowGT

Established Member
My friend and I are trying to install a Rockford Fosgate Amp running to 2 Audiobahn Subs in the trunk (2003 GT). We are looking for the best place to run the power wire from the battery to the amp through the firewall. Has anyone done this or is there any site that gives the best location to do this?

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
Yes, you have to run it through the firewall. Usually, you do not have to make a new hole. Just follow one of your wiring harnesses or find an open grommet that leads into the cabin. It's really easy once you know what you are doing. Make sure you do NOT run the wire into a hole without a grommet. You run a good chance of having the metal wear down the wire jacket and grounding out and possibly starting a fire. Remember to have some sort of inline fuse next to the battery. Make sure you use the proper size wire as well. 4G is the norm nowadays. Also, do not run your interconnect (RCA) wires with your power wire. You will have a lot of engine noise.

vroom-vroom

Established Member
For my car, theres this round rubber thing on the drivers side of the firewall, I think it's kind of located near where the steering column goes through the firewall. I just poked a hole through this (poking from inside the car towards the engine so I didn't put holes in any of the other wires that are in there or anything) and put the power wire through it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You run a good chance of having the metal wear down the wire jacket and grounding out and possibly starting a fire.

if he has a inline fuse (like 100% of amp install kits come with) he wont have to worry. once the positive cable touches or grounds out the fuse blows and the positive cable is rendered dead of all power. the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible.

iirc theres a plastic thingy on the drivers side of the firewall, you can put the cable there (might have to drill a hole, i dont remember though) and pull it out on the other side through the dash, down the kick panel, and down the drivers side of the car, under the running boards, and up through the back seat area to the trunk.

RCA's and remote should be ran on the opposite side of the vehicle, or in your case down the passenger side.

ground wire should be no longer than 3' long, and make sure to scrape/brush away paint to bare metal before screwing/bolting down the ground terminal to the chassis. i dont like using existing bolts, i usually use a self-tapping screw and washer onto a bare surface to ensure a good ground.

Users who are viewing this thread