AMP Performance IRS Conversion Kit

Jefe

Established Member
$2K? hahaha find a member on here with a GT and swap with them and you'll probably make money

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jesse:

It actually pains me to see all of the mis-information about rear ends and all of the people that 'think' ditching the IRS is the cure-all to their problems! :rollseyes

Everyone that has an IRS should read this:

Mystery of IRS

The IRS assemblies in these cars are getting quite old now. The rubber bushings are HIGHLY compromised after years of use and abuse. (hell, they actually pretty much sucked when they were new!!!) Power levels have been increased. These crappy rubber bushings DO NOT cut the proverbial mustard anymore! That is why your IRS feels like crap. That is ALSO why many people are under the mistaken 'impression' their SRA conversion was a good move because their car actually IS better than it was with the crappy worn out IRS bushings!!! :read: Hello!! :idea:

Guys like Jesse know what a bushing upgrade will do for their IRS!!!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jroc

Established Member
Thanks Jesse:

It actually pains me to see all of the mis-information about rear ends and all of the people that 'think' ditching the IRS is the cure-all to their problems! :rollseyes

Everyone that has an IRS should read this:

Mystery of IRS

The IRS assemblies in these cars are getting quite old now. The rubber bushings are HIGHLY compromised after years of use and abuse. (hell, they actually pretty much sucked when they were new!!!) Power levels have been increased. These crappy rubber bushings DO NOT cut the proverbial mustard anymore! That is why your IRS feels like crap. That is ALSO why many people are under the mistaken 'impression' their SRA conversion was a good move because their car actually IS better than it was with the crappy worn out IRS bushings!!! :read: Hello!! :idea:

Guys like Jesse know what a bushing upgrade will do for their IRS!!!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Bruce I swear man I don't get it. I love the IRS, and think its great that Ford/SVT gave it to us. Its like many things Mustang in that you need to mod it to bring out its potential. All these people say that the Cobras IRS is a poorly designed piece, but its really not other than the soft factory bushings. Actually its a nice design, and the only thing unusual about it is it uses a subframe to mount it to the factory 4 link mounting points.

People seem to get into a little wheelhop with a stock IRS, and say "oh I see what everyones talking about how the IRS is a POS. Better get a SRA so my car won't suck." I can understand people wanting a SRA if their cars main purpose is to do a bunch of 5,000 rpm launches at a drag strip, but on the street the IRS is so much nicer/better than any Foxbody based platform, SRA Mustang I've owned or been in at pretty much everything. Ride quality, handling, powering out a turn, hooking up, etc are all improved with the IRS and some good bushings on a street car.

The car also has much less a tendency to have the rearend just up and come around on you without warning with the IRS as opposed to a straight axle. Anyone who's spent any time with a stock style 4link setup knows what I mean.

Oh and if anyone says that when you upgraded to a SRA your hop went away its probably because you upgraded to better control arms, shocks, springs, drag radials, etc, than what a factory SRA Mustang uses. Instead of doing that why not try and upgrade your IRS bushings first, and see if that works for you. Trust me I've been in a few SRA Mustangs that would hop like Jack Rabbits.

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Irs can work so can a solid, max power handling a solid is the ticket. Look at the ford stang +05 track cars, they run a solid very successfully w mods. Less parts, more strength though I've yet to see a solid rear handle a washboard surface as well. Imo a 9" solid is hard to beat w the easy swap pumpkin if real racing is your goal. Drag or track. I've broke 2 halfshafts w n2o at the drag strip so I'm not real keen on the irs even w mods. Dss level 5 halfshaft's aren't cheap w all the other stuff. Do it again lil I drive it I'd do a 9". less than that amp price so it was quoted w/o exhaust. Not to say Bruce doesn't have a good kit but at the drags I'd rather not worry. Street... no big deal tires won't hold anyway unless m/t/hoosier dr or et streets in 2nd gear.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Look at the ford stang +05 track cars, they run a solid very successfully w mods. Less parts, more strength though I've yet to see a solid rear handle a washboard surface as well.

Comparing an SN-95 vehicle to an S-197 vehicle is like comparing apples to pomegranates!

;-):poke:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Whatever you say Bruce not arguing. A 05 or my 69 w a 9" is almost bullitproof w a 9" and easy replaced center. Depends on your goals, a street driven 03 irs, your kit is fine. It never gets enough traction.. tonight in 3rd gear it spun on the spray. Imo at over 600 wtq w a stick a 03 is iffy at the track w a irs. A irs rides better so if that is your goal then your kit is good.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Whatever you say Bruce not arguing. A 05 or my 69 w a 9" is almost bullitproof w a 9" and easy replaced center. Depends on your goals, a street driven 03 irs, your kit is fine. It never gets enough traction.. tonight in 3rd gear it spun on the spray. Imo at over 600 wtq w a stick a 03 is iffy at the track w a irs. A irs rides better so if that is your goal then your kit is good.

You are clearly the exception and not the rule here. 80% of the people with an IRS have 550 RWHP or less and that is just fine for a modded IRS for street, strip or road course use.

Once you get over 500 RWHP then some other factors come into play. I've had customers with 600 RWHP that were fine drag racing the modded IRS. Things like tires, springs, SFC's, shocks, track, traction, conditions at the track and driving style ALL come into play. One person might be fine with 590 RWHP, the next may not.

I have always advised someone with 700 RWHP to put a 9" in their car and forget it. It will serve you well at the drag strip. But, forget about good street manners, forget about a nice comfortable ride, forget about everything but dropping the hammer in a straight line without turning the steering wheel and you will be just fine! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread