American Racing LT Header and X Pipe Install

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
I just finished up with the install of the American Racing LT Headers and X Pipe. I bought the upgraded 1 3/4" primarys with 3" collector and X pipe with the 3" to 2 1/2". I have to say, when they showed up I was pretty impressed with the workmanship. I bought them direct from Nick at ARH, and I have to say, he delivers as promised, and is a great guy to deal with. I decided right away to have the X and LTs ceramic coated, and I plan to do the entire catback this winter. I used performance Coatings in Auburn, WA, they have done a few things for me in the past, and they always do great work.

The install was interesting. I got a lot of great info from 04torchred. I will say, I would not even attempt this with the K member on. I took off my Bassani Mid lengths and Bassani X to install these. The passenger side is the pita for this install. Just like 04torchreds thread, number 3 and 4 primary, only way to get to those is from the top, and they are a pita.:bash: The driver side is actually pretty easy other than the egr tube. I did an egr delete in the process, so I did not really have to deal with that too much. Overall, I did the install over a two day period because I was waiting for parts. If you have everything you need, I could see this being done in one weekend. I can hear the factory cams through the exhaust now, so when I get the new cams, I am sure it will sound amazing. Best part, no drone at all at cruising speeds. I would recommend these headers to anyone who is willing to deal with the install.

FWIW, I used new factory studs and gaskets.

38268984001_large.jpg

38268984002_large.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Damn those look great, I can't wait to do my kmember swap so then I can coat my headers.. I really wish that I would have done it before hand but I didn't even think about it :(

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Damn those look great, I can't wait to do my kmember swap so then I can coat my headers.. I really wish that I would have done it before hand but I didn't even think about it :(

I really thought about not doing it, but I didn't want to have to remove them again. I am glad I did though, after this install. This is one of those installs I would not want to deal with again. Just because of those passenger side nuts. I can definitely tell a difference in under hood temps over stock after I put her in the garage. Cools down much faster.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I now i didn't even think about had I had thought about it I definatley would have, But it's ok I'm going to be doing my kmember here shortly and when I do the headers will come off so it'll be easy then..

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Wow those look great.

Thanks, I am actually pretty happy with them. Took her for another ride today. It gets pretty loud at WOT. I actually love it. I can drive it and make it not sound ridiculous, or drive it and make it sound completely ridiculous.

Stalker27

Established Member
Did u dyno it yet? Have you even checked to see if the afr is still safe? Many guys that added longtubes would run lean

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
Coatings look awesome. Bet it sounds sweeeeet.

quick question for anyone, Nickel chrome coated vs ceramic coated. i know ceramic takes the heat better, but is it absolutely necessary? worth the extra $100 ?

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Did u dyno it yet? Have you even checked to see if the afr is still safe? Many guys that added longtubes would run lean

I have not had it re-tuned yet. I am waiting on the JLT intake and SCT maf. Once I have those installed, I will do a full tune. I also need the EGR turned off because of the delete. I won't be driving it much or hard until I get the tune done. I will post up the before and after AFR when I get it done though so we can see how it ran. I have the before AFR from the previous tune, so it will be easy to compare.

Coatings look awesome. Bet it sounds sweeeeet.

quick question for anyone, Nickel chrome coated vs ceramic coated. i know ceramic takes the heat better, but is it absolutely necessary? worth the extra $100 ?

Thanks. It has been my experience that chrome will blue and eventually flake off if applied to headers. I would say that the ceramic is indeed worth the extra cost. Just my opinion though.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member

ARH told me theres no reason for a coating if you're concerned with looks. ARH uses the 304 stainless from what I remember. The quality is there.
As for the 2 coasting you asked about, theyre both great. One has a better shine to it but both beat down the heat much better than steel or chrome.
Ive had coated headers before and its worth it imo. I just didnt make the time to get mine done, much less knew it was just down the street for me.

Last edited:

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
ARH told me theres no reason for a coating if you're concerned with looks. ARH uses the 304 stainless from what I remember. The quality is there.
As for the 2 coasting you asked about, theyre both great. One has a better shine to it but both beat down the heat much better than steel or chrome.
Ive had coated headers before and its worth it imo. I just didnt make the time top get mine doen, much less knew it was just down the street for me.

Makes a big difference when the place that does the work is local. I had my timing cover, crossover tubes, and some engine brackets done in the ceramic as well, just because it looks great.

greengt88

Established Member
how much were the new exhaust studs and gaskets?? also ceramic is definitely worth it, i as well would like to do the whole exhaust with it....like to do black though.

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
how much were the new exhaust studs and gaskets?? also ceramic is definitely worth it, i as well would like to do the whole exhaust with it....like to do black though.

I ordered them from Steve, and I think I paid 60 bucks or so for the gaskets, studs, and nuts. I would have used the original studs, but I managed to lose them somewhere. I had Bassani headers with stage 8 bolts, but after talking to some people on here with ARH, I decided to use the factory studs.

Users who are viewing this thread