American Racing headers experience...

koffebean00

Established Member
For the longest time I've wanted longtubes on my 04' Cobra. From previous Mustangs I've had that had longtubes the sound is awesome not to mention the gains are usually good. So I've been looking at vids of other Cobras on youtube with longtubes and they were all of Kooks and Mac. I found a couple of ARH on there but the vids weren't that great. Then I started searching around the site to see which ones were the best including fitment wise. That was key to me because my Cobra is lowered on H&R race.

I made my decision and ordered American Racing 1-3/4" longtubes with 3" collector with the 3"-2.5" matching offroad X pipe thru Lethal Performance. The main reason I got them was simple... No one had fitment issues, stainless, and they're a 1 piece design. I didn't like that the Kooks were a 2 piece.

Headers came and they looked awesome. :rockon: Took the car to the shop to have a bunch of work done and have them installed. I was at the shop the night the headers were put on and they fit nice and snug and cleared everything including the stock K member. Next day I get a phone call from my friend who's doing all the work and he says... "Your X pipe doesn't fit". I'm like... What?!?!? You're kidding! He's like no I'm not joking. I was instantly pissed because I spent the money to get the ones that I saw and read about not having any issues. :fm:

So instantly I call Lethal. It was right when they closed and I got no answer except some after hours type of message. Then I call American Racing... This guy picks up(Nick) and tells me it's after hours but wanted to know what was going on. I explain to him my situation and he says we've never had this problem but let's find out why and I'll get it taken care of. At the time I didn't know who "Nick" after hours guy was. Turns out he's Nick Filippides - Owner/Operator of American Racing. Within a day or so I head back to the shop to find out exactly why my x pipe isn't fitting... Turns out one of the elbows had too much of a bend in it. So I take pics and email them to Nick. He tells me give him a lil bit and he'll find out what happened. Within 10-20 minutes(not eactly sure but it wasn't long at all) he emails me and says the elbow I got was for a 3v Mustang and somehow got mixed with my order. He says I'll overnite you the correct piece and he did. I understand that sometimes things get mixed up or wrong and all that mattered to me was as long as it got taken care of.

Next day the X is put on with out any issues. Slipped right in. :rockon:
Fitment wise, these are great. Hang down just as low as the frame and stay tucked up away from touching anything. :thumbsup:

Reason I'm writing this is because if you're having doubts about which longtubes to buy from which company and have had the troubles I've had with this car(some other long story for another time. LoL) you'd appreciate the customer service from Nick/American Racing. He was always courteous and cool whether it was on the phone or thru the emails. Couldn't be happier and definitely a customer for life. ;-) I'd recommend them to anyone!

Thanks Nick, :beer:
Juan

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
good to hear. Was already on the bandwagon for ARH anyways.

So you got em on...? Retuned yet? Videos for the masses?

koffebean00

Established Member
good to hear. Was already on the bandwagon for ARH anyways.

So you got em on...? Retuned yet? Videos for the masses?

They're on but no retune yet and also I haven't put the catback on yet. I've gotta get the Magnapacks welded into the piping I have. Also waiting on new wheels. I just got screwed over by a guy on Corral forum on some 18" black AFS reps...

As soon as I get the catback on which should probably be this week I'll get a vid up.

Last edited:

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
You're gonna love the way they sound just as much as their quality, fit, and finish. I'm glad my Cobra's previous owner didn't skimp on the exhaust.

koffebean00

Established Member
You're gonna love the way they sound just as much as their quality, fit, and finish. I'm glad my Cobra's previous owner didn't skimp on the exhaust.

Fit and finish is awesome with these! I just can't wait to get the catback on with the Magnapacks and let it rip! :burnout:

MWoods26

Established Member
I just ordered the same set with the 3" upgrade from leathal yesterday when they started the 10% off Laborday sale. How long did it take you to get yours? They said they are all made to order then shipped straight to me from ARH. I cant wait to get them and put em on. Hoping to pick up what I need to crack the 700 mark with them. Also whats everybodys opinion on best gaskets and hardware to put them on. I dont want leakes!

koffebean00

Established Member
I ordered online late on a Sunday afternoon. They were here exactly 1 week on the following Monday. As far as gaskets I researched and I went with OEM Ford gaskets. Everyone says that's the way to go. As far as mounting hardware... I've read the stock studs are fine or u can use the supplied bolts. I had a stud break so mine is a mixture of stock studs and the supplied bolts.

shurur

Established Member
how is the ground clearance with these headers/mid??
I take it they are the lowest point on the car now...

I'm looking at JBA mids myself because I go to Northern VT to see the folks and the roads are less than kind up there.

But If I could find magic LTs...anyway just wondering..

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Im extremely happy with my ARH headers. I picked up 30hp and 40lbtq with these, and lost about 1lb boost, fitment is great and i have about 5" clearance

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I took a pic. I've gotta download them. I'll post it up later. They hang down maybe 1"-1.5" below the frame. If I had subframe connectors they'd be even with those.

This is what all others I have found on the site have stated as well. Again, ARH gets my money

koffebean00

Established Member
Any pics yet?

Sry, I've been a lil busy. Not the best pics and also my front passenger tire was completely flat, but this gives u an idea.

ARH2.jpg

ARH1.jpg

koffebean00

Established Member
These pics make it look like they hang low.... Not the case. Guess it's the way I had the camera sitting on the ground angled up at the car.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
I just had these exact headers/mid-pipe installed on mine last month. They are the best without a doubt. Love the quality, fitment, and sound! You get what you pay for with American Racing for sure. Sounds like some outstanding customer service as well.

MWoods26

Established Member
I wanted to update back in this thread. I got my ARH longtubes on the car just a few weeks ago and in for a retune. On a hot 90 degree July day I had the car tuned for e85 and it made 665/602. The only thing I change between then and my long tube install was I went to a SRA and did the same magnaflow cat back that I had with the IRS except for SRA.(this shouldnt really make much difference as far as RWHP but just wanted to state the facts, stayed with 3:55 gear) when I had the car retuned it was a cool October day in the low 50s and the car made 687/642. Not really the gains I expected. Happy with the 40 tq but would have liked to crack the 700 hp mark. 22 just didnt get me there. I really thought the 40 degree cooler air and long tubes would be good for more than 22 rwhp. as far as the fit Im not super happy with that either. I think the bends in the X pipe are a little off. Had to reallly force it and still not happy with how far it slides on to the drivers side collector. If we slid it all the way onto the collector there is no way to get it together at the mid pipe. If I had it to do over again I think I would go with Kooks.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
I wanted to update back in this thread. I got my ARH longtubes on the car just a few weeks ago and in for a retune. On a hot 90 degree July day I had the car tuned for e85 and it made 665/602. The only thing I change between then and my long tube install was I went to a SRA and did the same magnaflow cat back that I had with the IRS except for SRA.(this shouldnt really make much difference as far as RWHP but just wanted to state the facts, stayed with 3:55 gear) when I had the car retuned it was a cool October day in the low 50s and the car made 687/642. Not really the gains I expected. Happy with the 40 tq but would have liked to crack the 700 hp mark. 22 just didnt get me there. I really thought the 40 degree cooler air and long tubes would be good for more than 22 rwhp. as far as the fit Im not super happy with that either. I think the bends in the X pipe are a little off. Had to reallly force it and still not happy with how far it slides on to the drivers side collector. If we slid it all the way onto the collector there is no way to get it together at the mid pipe. If I had it to do over again I think I would go with Kooks.

Your gains are actually pretty good. Long tubes don't produce huge horsepower gains but they're worth the money on these cars. American Racing has a much better connection the collector and midpipe than kooks does. You definitely did not go wrong buying them! I love mine

Users who are viewing this thread