American Iron Coyote Cobra Swap

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
I have been through many (too many) rebuilds of my 4.6 DOHC NA engine and it lost power for the last time at Summit Point two weeks ago (valve stuck open). I've replaced nearly everything in the engine at least once over the last 14 years (wow, I've been doing this a long time) and it's time to try something new!

I started with a stock 96 Mystic Cobra with mild bolt-ons. Then I found the Mustang forums (SVTP and SCMC) and then I found road course racing. The rest is history!

I started with pullies and a cold air kit and made about 265 RWHP. I slowly made mods to the car as I made mods to the driver. Doing 4 or 5 track weekends per year then 8-10 when I got serious. At the same time I was modifying the driver (most important!), I was improving the chassis, brakes, suspension, and engine.

My 4.6 build and progression is outlined elsewhere but the latest version was making 375/355 and detuned to 358/333 for the American Iron class. More HP means more weight.

I think it was ultimately the aftermarket cams that gave me all the trouble over the last six rebuilds and two years. Nothing else makes sense.

Anyway, so I am starting a Coyote Swap!

Since I already have a lot of the hard stuff (MM K-member, T56 Magnum, hydroboost) I have a little head start. I'm even planning to reuse my clutch. Mine is a racecar so I won't have to worry about a lot of the street stuff (lights, emissions, AC/heat, etc). This week I received the BBK swap headers/X-pipe, Ford Racing control pack, pedal bracket, and I'm picking up the engine (also a salvaged F150) in a couple days. I have the PBH bracket kit enroute so accessories should be easy.

I'm mostly concerned about the wiring and the oiling system at this point. I have a feeling I'm going to end up pulling all the factory wiring out and I'll custom wire tail lights, fuel pump, gauges, and anything else I need. I'm probably going to hold off on the AIM dash install ($$) and do that later. I have aftermarket gauges for the important stuff already. I'm going to have to do a new custom oil cooler. I already have an external oil filter kit. I'm pretty sure I'll need the Mustang timing cover and windage tray/pan gasket from Ford.

So, Why the F150 engine instead of the Mustang engine? Money. I can get two F150 engines for the price of a Mustang engine. The truck engine uses the same aluminum block and heads, same forged crank and good rods. Also, since the truck engine uses cams designed for more torque than HP it will put me closer to my goal of making 355/375. The perfect numbers for my weight. The guys using Mustang cams will have to detune more to get the power level needed.

More to come...

Recent pic from Summit Point Raceway:
20140426_094401_zpsmf1ucfko.jpg

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Sounds like an awesome build that has been well thought out!

Definitely in for updates on this one!

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
+1 sounds very awesome. Subscribing for updates. I'm most interested in seeing how you rewire the car completely.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Thanks, guys. So, back when I wrecked (the first time) in 2005, I rebodied the car. I took a 96 GT (auto, non-PATS) body, stripped everything out of it and moved all my leftover good parts from the wreck to the new body. I thought I could put in just the engine harness and use the wiring from the new body in the rest of the car. Turns out I needed my harnesses because of the integrated PATS system to make the car run. So, I've been down a similar path before.

The Ford Racing control pack has an awesome wiring harness that connects everything together. It has connectors for the engine harness, ECU, sensors, pedal, gauge pack, O2s, fuel pump, power distribution box (FRPDB), etc. Most of the work has been done but I will still have a bit of custom wiring to do. I don't know how I'm going to connect the start circuit either. Keep the factory steering wheel and ignition switch? Put in a dash button? These details have been left out of all the online builds I've seen and I haven't been able to ask the right people these questions yet. I won't be disappointed to lose the factory wiring. Less complexity and less weight!
20140506_174000_zpsmyuwhtpa.jpg

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
im going to follow along with you and we can bounce off each other, my PBH accessory kit is supposed to come in today and im still waiting for my FRPP control pack to come in. Wiring is the only thing that makes me curious still as far as how that is going to pan out.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Rio-What year car and what engine are you using?
I got my PBH kit last night and it is EXTREMELY well put together. Everything bagged and labeled, great instructions with pics, inventory with PNs...couldn't ask for more.
20140508_184033_zpsqaykc3ur.jpg

Last edited:

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
So, I just got off the phone with both Canton and Moroso Tech Support. Tim@Canton said their pan holds 6 qts (7 w/filter). He also said they were not aware of any clearance issues with the BBK headers. He said their pan is 12.5" wide.

I also spoke with Kevin at Moroso. He says their pan is 9 qts. He said they had heard about mods to the pan for clearance but did not have exact dimensions. He said if he did, he could make a custom pan or possibly change their stock pan. He said their pan is 13" wide (1" offset to right) and 9" front to back.

I'm going to measure my setup tonight or tomorrow and will post back. I told both guys I'd get measurements and report back. Both seemed willing to help get mods made for future builders. The large capacity is critical for me since this is a road race car, so I'll definitely be using Moroso. Their 20571 pan is steel and has baffling.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I'm going to measure my setup tonight or tomorrow and will post back. I told both guys I'd get measurements and report back. Both seemed willing to help get mods made for future builders. The large capacity is critical for me since this is a road race car, so I'll definitely be using Moroso. Their 20571 pan is steel and has baffling.

I would want the larger Moroso pan as well. I wonder if you could build a "mock up" pan out of cardboard and see if one or the other fits.

Here is the screenshot from the Late Model Moroso pan where they had to notch the pan to clear the headers.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...8/9JvU-5IgPSA/w970-h749-no/20140509104159.jpg

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
That looks like a pretty small amount. Kevin@Moroso made it sound like I'd lose a half quart of capacity. That looks like 1 cu cm. Who did that work? Do you have a pan yet?

Last edited:

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Ok, gotcha. I was thinking it was just the corner. If it runs the length of the pan, it will be closer to a half quart. Still better than the Canton pan.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
shop I use has done several and just finished a coyote in a new edge for some kind of track car. this shop doesn't change the k member. they have it down to a science now.

Users who are viewing this thread