American Flag half mast for Whitney

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Even the Stars and Stripes? I understood it was just the state flag.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
God I'm so tired of hearing about this drug addict, I fear for the future of our society if this is what they think is important.

megameGT500

Established Member
The only thing I can say is that she will not have the privilege of the US flag draped over her casket nor will she have a military funeral. Just trying to be positive about such a bad decision.

Fuerza

Established Member
I think the governor is over stepping his authority. I don't think Whitney Houston was a foreign dignitary, government official, or former president... Hopefully the President will step in and nix this idea...

But I won't hold my breathe...

megameGT500

Established Member
Bad news boys. I found this:

Federal Facilities must follow States lead with Half-Staff proclamations.
The Flag Code half-staffing requirements was modified with new legislation signed into effect on June 29, 2007 by President Bush. The new legislation requires any federal facility within a region which proclaims half-staffing to honor a member of the US Armed Forces who died on active duty must follow the half-staffing proclamation. For example, if there is a US military fort in your state, and your Governor issues a Half-Staff proclamation, the the US military fort must follow the proclamation.

According to this Christie is overstepping his boundaries if the federal flags are flying half staff. She was not in the military.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I think the governor is over stepping his authority. I don't think Whitney Houston was a foreign dignitary, government official, or former president... Hopefully the President will step in and nix this idea...

But I won't hold my breathe...

I agree, it angers me that anyone thinks someone like her (or any entertainer) deserves the honor/respect a fallen soldier commands. Wtf is wrong with our country?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
This is a disgrace and yet another example of what is wrong with society. Who is Whitney Houston really? A singer/actress who married a ghetto boy and got hooked on crack and cocaine. She pissed through all her money and then died while probably high. What message is that sending to young people in this country?

Does anyone know if the flags were at half staff when Clarence Clemons of the E Street band died? I know the Grammys cancelled his service in exchange for Whitney Houston's. Thats a classy move right there. Unbelieveable what society is becoming. She hasn't been relevant in anything other than being a punchline in the last 10-15 years and NJ really feels she deserves a half staff flag? I hope when Bruce Springsteen dies they do the same for him. He is a far bigger artist than Whitney ever was.

megameGT500

Established Member
This addresses non military. So, as long as federal flags are flying high he is really not doing anything wrong except pissing off a lot of people. Besides, remember, it's called the flag code, not law. I don't like it but he is the governor.

Only the president of the United States or the Governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure. In addition to the traditional half-staff salutes, the Flag Code mentions the use of our Flag for honoring leading citizens such as Martin Luther King, Jr.

megameGT500

Established Member
this is a disgrace and yet another example of what is wrong with society. Who is whitney houston really? A singer/actress who married a ghetto boy and got hooked on crack and cocaine. She pissed through all her money and then died while probably high. What message is that sending to young people in this country?

Does anyone know if the flags were at half staff when clarence clemons of the e street band died? I know the grammys cancelled his service in exchange for whitney houston's. Thats a classy move right there. Unbelieveable what society is becoming. She hasn't been relevant in anything other than being a punchline in the last 10-15 years and nj really feels she deserves a half staff flag? I hope when bruce springsteen dies they do the same for him. He is a far bigger artist than whitney ever was.

+1

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I agree, it angers me that anyone thinks someone like her (or any entertainer) deserves the honor/respect a fallen soldier commands. Wtf is wrong with our country?

Agreed. It is total disrespect for people that have bleed for nation. Here is what Ive found

\\Can the governor order the US flag half-staffed for anyone he or she chooses?
halfstaff_state

No. Section 7m of the Flag Code authorizes a governor to half-staff the US flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty.

The President, by comparison, is authorized to half-staff the US flag by proclamation upon the death of principal figures of the US Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as well as in the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries.

We recommend flying the state flag at half-staff.

A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Governor Granholm of Michigan.//

Quoted from http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm#q58

Last edited:

Torch04RedSnake

Established Member
this is a disgrace and yet another example of what is wrong with society. Who is whitney houston really? A singer/actress who married a ghetto boy and got hooked on crack and cocaine. She pissed through all her money and then died while probably high. What message is that sending to young people in this country?

Does anyone know if the flags were at half staff when clarence clemons of the e street band died? I know the grammys cancelled his service in exchange for whitney houston's. Thats a classy move right there. Unbelieveable what society is becoming. She hasn't been relevant in anything other than being a punchline in the last 10-15 years and nj really feels she deserves a half staff flag? I hope when bruce springsteen dies they do the same for him. He is a far bigger artist than whitney ever was.

+1

megameGT500

Established Member
Agreed. It is total disrespect for people that have bleed for nation. Here is what Ive found

\\Can the governor order the US flag half-staffed for anyone he or she chooses?
halfstaff_state

No. Section 7m of the Flag Code authorizes a governor to half-staff the US flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty.

The President, by comparison, is authorized to half-staff the US flag by proclamation upon the death of principal figures of the US Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as well as in the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries.

We recommend flying the state flag at half-staff.

A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Governor Granholm of Michigan.//

Quoted from Flag Frequently Asked Questions

Good find. Unfortunately it's still only code. Shame on Christie for considering her a state figure.

Last edited:

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Good find. Unfortunately it's still only code. Shame on Christie for considering her a state figure.

Agreed. It states at the top. Law officers cannot fine or arrest civilians for violations it is just served as a guideline.

Televise her funeral fine. I can choose not to watch. But give her the respect that service members and government officials get is down right disrespectful. We should start having celebrities fight our wars.

Fuerza

Established Member
Im just not shocked anymore by this type of stuff. This country doesn't give a crap about those out there putting their lives on the line but will honor any celebrity. Whitney fell from grace a long time ago, just like Michael Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread