American Community Survey

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone received this survey in the mail? Some of the questions require personal answers I don't feel the government needs to know. The documents say you must answer these questions by law (title 13 u.s code actions 141, 193 and 221) but I am wondering how I can be compelled to answer.

tistan

Established Member
There is nothing that says I ever recieved anything in the mail. Census bureau can interview their liberal supporters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
If I am not mistaken, the census is used to determine voting blocks, and also how many representatives an area gets. By not participating, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The Census Bureau doesn't want to prosecute anyone regarding refusal since it could open up the possibility of a court decision that decides how many of their questions violate the 4th, 5th, and 9th amendments.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken, the census is used to determine voting blocks, and also how many representatives an area gets. By not participating, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Lets say that is true and I do agree but what do the following have to do with voting blocks:

Description of the building, costs of utilities, how many vehicles owned, mortgage payment, health issues of residents, how many times residents have been married, wages of said residents, etc..,

1996slowbra

Established Member
Lets say that is true and I do agree but what do the following have to do with voting blocks:

Description of the building, costs of utilities, how many vehicles owned, mortgage payment, health issues of residents, how many times residents have been married, wages of said residents, etc..,

American Community Survey - Wikipedia

If you wanted a bit more about the "why" they administer such in depth surveys. But it basically looks like they found that trying get a lot of this data in the regular decennial survey was depressing turnout, so instead they decided to try and statistically sample a cross section of the population with this survey OP got.

Its only been around for 13 years which is probably why a lot of us have not heard of it.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Like the current lawsuit challenging the question of whether or not the respondent is a legal citizen?

Most challenges brought forward are measured by the "necessary and proper" clause.

Even the Bureau instructs those answering questions may choose not to do so if it violates their religous beliefs.

Simply put, if you don't prosecute anyone for not answering, you don't have to justify any of the questions in court and risk preventing those questions from being asked.

But, even that doesn't prevent a lawsuit as seen in the current challenge.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Like the current lawsuit challenging the question of whether or not the respondent is a legal citizen?

Most challenges brought forward are measured by the "necessary and proper" clause.

Even the Bureau instructs those answering questions may choose not to do so if it violates their religous beliefs.

Simply put, if you don't prosecute anyone for not answering, you don't have to justify any of the questions in court and risk preventing those questions from being asked.

But, even that doesn't prevent a lawsuit as seen in the current challenge.
makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread