Amazon vs FIPK CAI - Opinions?

BCPD199

Established Member
I bought an Amazon CAI and it looks like a high school project compared to the new K&N FIPK. The Amazon unit came with poor photocopied instructions while the K&N unit has detailed instructions w/ pics. The Amazon CAI has to use RTV sealant. I guess it doesn't really matter if they both make the same power; but I don't want to install the Amazon unit if the K&N is better. I can sell it while it's new. Anybody have experience with both?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I talked to a guy who had the Amazon, and he liked it except for the filter flopping around. Power wise i am sure they are about the same. I just put on the FIPK last week and like it!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I had the Amazon. I bought the K&N aircharger/fipk kit and sold the Amazon.

The K&N filter is bigger with a greater diameter and has that velocity donut to smooth out the incoming air. K&N wins by design, and supposedly puts out a few more ponies over the Amazon.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Sorry to highjack this thread, but anyone know how the K&N compares with the apten CAI? Those 2 along with the Amazon Racing one was the 3 I was chosing from, with the K&N leading the pack.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
The Amazon makes just as much power as the K&N. The Amazon is little easier to install than the K&N and the front of the Amazon filter is open, but closed on the K&N. Personal taste, you can't go wrong with either one.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Welp, I looked at the FIPK, and got the Amazon CAI instead, wouldn't change a thing. Doesnt flop around at all. Here is my Amazon CAI:

cai1.jpg

Last edited:

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by Rev
Welp, I looked at the FIPK, and got the Amazon CAI instead, wouldn't change a thing. Doesnt flop around at all. Here is my Amazon CAI:

cai1.jpg
i agree

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by johnsonl
I talked to a guy who had the Amazon, and he liked it except for the filter flopping around.

Yeah, there's no provision for holding the filter/MAF assembly down. You may not think it's moving, but it is, every time you hit a bump, or make a sharp turn. I rigged up a sloppy looking cable tie mess to sort of hold it in place, but the whole thing's getting replaced with a better unit soon.

jimh

Established Member
I have the Amazon. Yes, it's possible for it to move around a little. But, so what? You engine moves around too. Granted it doesn't bounce around but still...

I don't know what the FIPK looks like, bit I liek the way the MAF is right on the back of the filter. I also like that the heat shield is open at the front. i haven't installed the heat shield yet. I'll get arround to it though. I'm not much on looks, I more of the function over form type, but I don't think the Amazon unit's design detracts from the looks at all.

jim

BCPD199

Established Member
Thanks everybody for getting back to me. I like the FIPK better; but since this is already paid for, what the hell, I'll give it a a try!:D

Users who are viewing this thread