Amazon Kindle 3

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I am looking at the new Amazon Kindle 3. I am trying to decide between the wifi version and the 3G version.

It appears that the 3G version doesnt do much more than allow the person to access Amazon's site to buy stuff.

Does anyone here have either device and what are your thoughts on it?

Chris_562

KCSO
Established Member
Just bought, a wifi kindle, and love it. At my house, I only have WiFi so the 3G would only work out in town, but with every place you might be reading a book having wifi, save the start up money to buy more books. The kindle is great, my only complaint is no optional back light, so if it's too dark you can't read without a book light, but you can read them in direct sunlight (it's not just a marketing scheme) good luck either way bud.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Just bought, a wifi kindle, and love it. At my house, I only have WiFi so the 3G would only work out in town, but with every place you might be reading a book having wifi, save the start up money to buy more books. The kindle is great, my only complaint is no optional back light, so if it's too dark you can't read without a book light, but you can read them in direct sunlight (it's not just a marketing scheme) good luck either way bud.

Cool. Thanks.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I think I am going to buy a few of the Wifi ones for christmas presents for the family. Seems like an affordable solid gift idea

BhavinB

Established Member
I read the news alot on my smartphone.
I imagine a 3G Kindle would be useful for something like that when you're out of the house.

BhavinB

Established Member
That is the thing, I dont think the 3G is full internet access.

I'm not 100% sure...so maybe its best if you just call Amazon. But I believe they have a super simple browser and the data plan has no restrictions on where you can go (not true in Canada).

As for the news, I think you can buy periodicals over the Amazon service.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
My girlfriend just went through the same thing, so I've heard all about both models. Get the 3g one, so you can look up books and whatnot wherever you go. If you get the wifi one, you HAVE to be on wifi to do that. It's such a small cost difference upfront that it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to only being able to search while on wifi. Also, be prepared for a long wait between ordering it and actually getting it. She waited over a month to get her's after she ordered it. They're backordered like crazy right now.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
My girlfriend just went through the same thing, so I've heard all about both models. Get the 3g one, so you can look up books and whatnot wherever you go. If you get the wifi one, you HAVE to be on wifi to do that. It's such a small cost difference upfront that it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to only being able to search while on wifi. Also, be prepared for a long wait between ordering it and actually getting it. She waited over a month to get her's after she ordered it. They're backordered like crazy right now.

I found them all over ebay for immediate shipping. But I am in no rush. Thanks for the info :beer:

hunterp

Established Member
The kindle is great, my only complaint is no optional back light, so if it's too dark you can't read without a book light, but you can read them in direct sunlight (it's not just a marketing scheme) good luck either way bud.

The technology making up e-ink displays is quite different than your standard screen and a backlight isn't possible on those types of devices.

I've been staying away from a Kindle because it doesn't support the ePub format, which precludes the Kindle from accessing a wide array of ebook archives out there, along with being able to check out ebooks from public libraries. Might want to take a look at the Barnes and Noble Nook before you make a decision. Your local Best Buy has some to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread