am i unlucky or is this a known problem?

bobbyj

Established Member
well first of all i bought the car with 16k miles on it about 9 months ago. at 20k miles on it i took it in for an oil change at my local ford dealer. Within 3 days of getting my car back the 5th gear synchro goes out. I bring it back to that same dealer and they "fix it". The synchro was fixed but the tranny had an obnoxious whining noise and the shifter was sloppy as all hell. I drove it off the lot and made a U-turn at the next light and brought the car right back. They "fixed it" again, so i went and picked it up and i could swear they didnt touch the car. Exact same problem, whining noise and sloppy shifter. I brought it back once again, and received it back the same way. I decided to take my car to another Ford dealer and let them try and fix what apparently the first dealer messed up. They said the previous dealer put the transmission back together wrong LOL, had metal flakes all in the transmission oil. They ordered me a new transmission and its been great until this. I brought my car into the Ford dealer that i trust (the one that ordered me a new transmission) for an oil change. Got it back and now roughly a week later the tranny is messing up again. Shifts through all the gears just fine. however, it will NOT allow me to downshift into 2nd gear. Vibrates vigorously and then spits it out of gear with an awful grinding noise. Now once again the transmission is coming out of the car. Ford still hasn't diagnosed this problem but its only been a couple days. Any clue what this could be? I am dying to know, also has anyone else had this kind of issue with their 6 speeds?

Last edited:

SCCA SM

Established Member
lemon law? car experiencing the same issue after a reasonable number of attempts were made to correct the problem? rebuild the transmission 3 times, then replace and its still wrong?

bobbyj

Established Member
lemon law? car experiencing the same issue after a reasonable number of attempts were made to correct the problem? rebuild the transmission 3 times, then replace and its still wrong?

I completely agree. It's ridiculous and I'm getting frustrated with the car and with ford. I hope they warranty this and don't try and blame it on "wear" this transmission has 10k miles on it.

CPRsm

Make sure you close out the ticket and make them start a new one ea time or it's considered the same problem. Ain't that a bitch? Ask me how I know. F volkswagen lol

bobbyj

Established Member
Make sure you close out the ticket and make them start a new one ea time or it's considered the same problem. Ain't that a bitch? Ask me how I know. F volkswagen lol

Oh wow thats ridiculous. These places are such scams anymore it seems like. I'll fight hard for this to be covered under warranty.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
that sucks bobby. just fight for a new transmission and clutch. they have to fix it. just make sure that you dont do any modding to the car until you are 100% sure that it has been fixed.

bobbyj

Established Member
that sucks bobby. just fight for a new transmission and clutch. they have to fix it. just make sure that you dont do any modding to the car until you are 100% sure that it has been fixed.

Thanks buddy I absolutely will. It has an axle back on it but it had that when I bought it. I'll keep this thread updated with the outcome. Should hear from them tomorrow they said. Hopefully it works out

alex12gt

Established Member
My 2011 had the same issues rebuilt once replaced 2 times and was never right.....I've come to the thought if it has issues they don't go away

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
im sure that it could be fixed but if you trade the car i would go for an a6. the auto is just much stronger and better overall. but i guess that it all depends on what your goals are with the car are. if you want to hit the auto cross or road course then the manual will be better but if you want to blow people doors and hit the drag strip the auto is the only option. i hit my self in the balls every time i get on my car for not getting the auto. and my transmission has not given me any problems. 13k miles so far.

bobbyj

Established Member
So the transmission problems were fixed in the 12? This is such bulls**t, wish ford would do a recall if its this big of a problem. And shadow I did search and couldn't find the same problem that I was having with the 2nd gear when down shifting and was sharing my story.

kingnut

Established Member
is this a trans issue alone or does anyone else think the clutch and pressure plate have never been touched?

Torchy

Established Member
Ford went to a new shifter housing (what the shifter actually bolts to) mid year in 2013. You might have a new housing with the same factory shifter and the two don't mix well. I had the same problem with going into 2nd from a stop and this was the issue. Barton actually figured it out and brought it to their customers attention. I made a thread about it here but search doesn't work on an iPhone. I think I named it "ever had this mt82 problem". Maybe someone else can find it and post it here.

dead man walkin

Established Member
I've got 24,000 on my 2011 and it has been drag raced at the track and street a lot. And been thru autocross many times and I've had zero issues.. now I have a question. I downshift alllllllll the time, every stop, every corner, etc.. do people having this trouble downshift?

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I've got 24,000 on my 2011 and it has been drag raced at the track and street a lot. And been thru autocross many times and I've had zero issues.. now I have a question. I downshift alllllllll the time, every stop, every corner, etc.. do people having this trouble downshift?

Another guy who knows how to drive stick lol. I love my mt82

TXVNM

Established Member
My 2012 roush is at my local dealer for grinding in 5 on a cold drive an looking out of 2-3 in high RPM. They said they added a friction modifier an services the car. We shall see today when I pick it up. If not ill make sure the transmission is replaced since the car only has 5k.

Users who are viewing this thread