Am I stupid to beef up the MT-82 or should I buy the Tremec?

PushingSpokes

Established Member
Should I spend 2k on the stock drive train or 5k on a Tremec Magnum XL?

I bought a Centerforce DYAD twin disc clutch for $760 the other day, because the stock clutch is fried after 3,800 miles.

Will be buying the DSS aluminum driveshaft next week along with the MGW shifter.

My issue is that I'm spending a lot of money on the drive train in hopes that it will be ready for a supercharger. I read about how awful the MT-82 is and worry that I might have to upgrade to the Tremec. When you upgrade to the Tremec my new clutch, shifter, and driveshaft will not work with it so I'd be wasting over $2000 right now. Am I stupid for trying to make the MT-82 work/last?

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Still no reason for a stock clutch to go. I DD my car, beat the shit out of it and run 11's and is still holding strong. The stock clutch is actually very strong compared to older model stangs. I have a stock trans, stock shifter, stock clutch line, and factory fluids without any issues. The only weakness could be the input shaft in upper 600's+ when launching hard, other than that i really like the MT82

Last edited:

PushingSpokes

Established Member
Still no reason for a stock clutch to go. I DD my car, beat the shit out of it and run 11's and is still holding strong. The stock clutch is actually very strong compared to older model stangs. I have a stock trans, stock shifter, stock clutch line, and factory fluids without any issues. The only weakness could be the input shaft in upper 600's+ when launching hard, other than that i really like the MT82

Good to hear that the MT82 and clutch is holding up. Makes me feel better putting $ into the car. I did see a few broken input shafts. But those cars had more power than I'm planning on. Thanks for the feedback.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Good to hear that the MT82 and clutch is holding up. Makes me feel better putting $ into the car. I did see a few broken input shafts. But those cars had more power than I'm planning on. Thanks for the feedback.

Ya, surprised at how good stock these are. Broken input shafts is about the only big issue with higher power, but no different than any of the older tremec trans 10 spline cars.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
Don't get me wrong. I really love this car and will do almost anything to keep it going. I just want to be smart with my upgrades. I'm not upset at all that the clutch is dust. Surprised? Yes. But so were the bent axles last month.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
well its 2k vs 5k for the full tremec assembly, thats a hd clutch, tranny, tranny mount drive shaft, bell housing everything you need tested at over 800 hp...think of it this way, if you spend 2k and it breaks again your SOL. If it were me and money wasn't an issue i'd buy the tremec set up...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
11500 miles on car, 4000 with supercharger. Stock clutch is holding great with over 100 passes at the track. You need to fix your driving before you put a supercharger on the car.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
11500 miles on car, 4000 with supercharger. Stock clutch is holding great with over 100 passes at the track. You need to fix your driving before you put a supercharger on the car.

Awesome feedback! Thanks. I will try to be nice to the new setup for sure. I'm 40 years old been driving stick since I was 16...so I've had 24 years of experience of driving. I must be doing something wrong though with this car? I can't figure it out though. Maybe once I crack it open I will find something out of the normal....like lose pressure plate bolts or something. Either way I will fix my driving and my car. I just didn't want to throw away 2k on the MT82 if it wont hold up. But it sounds like yours is fine. There is some hope :)

PushingSpokes

Established Member

Also, I've got the same set up in mind that you are running (the Paxton setup from Beefcake). If you have a thread about your supercharger please share it with me. Thanks

alex12gt

Established Member
ive been pushing mine hard with a roush blower for over 5k miles now and tranny is holding just fine as is the stock clutch (it hold on for dear life every time the throttle hits the floor) but ill be keeping it in and adding a new clutch and a alum. driveshaft soon

PushingSpokes

Established Member
ive been pushing mine hard with a roush blower for over 5k miles now and tranny is holding just fine as is the stock clutch (it hold on for dear life every time the throttle hits the floor) but ill be keeping it in and adding a new clutch and a alum. driveshaft soon

Great info! Thanks for sharing. The more positive feedback I get here makes it feel better dumping 2k into the drivetrain.

Reflecting back onto the "spirited driving moments" I've had with my car. I'm leaning more towards driver error for this fail and not the clutch failing. I will know soon when I change out the clutch. It's probably my bad.

Unrealford

Established Member
I agree, OP needs to change his driving behavior.
I have 3,500 miles, 1 autocross and over 30 x down the 1/4. With no issues at all.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
If you have the money, by all means stop dumping money into the mt82 and get the t56. But if you want to make due with this transmission it should last.

PushingSpokes

Established Member
If you have the money, by all means stop dumping money into the mt82 and get the t56. But if you want to make due with this transmission it should last.

2k is easy to manage but 5k is too hard to scrape up without the wife knowing. Thanks. And yes no more stupid driving for me. Its getting expensive! :)

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have 25,000 miles on mine and almost 50 passes at the track, on slicks, and my clutch is fine. I don't drive like a grandmother either....

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread