Am I running too much timing in my car?

Logans06

Established Member
I had my car dynoed and ran some diagnostics on it yesterday at a performance shop. Im running a kb 2.2 with supporting mods on a stock block, 3 inch upper 4 inch lower. Car makes about 21-22lbs of boost. I am running 23 degrees of timing on 93 octane pump gas. At WOT the air fuel was about 11.5, but it stays efficient at 11.5 at WOT. The shop told me im running way too much timing and boost for 93octane. Can someone give me a second opinion?>

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Yes, you're definitely running too much timing for 93 octane with your setup! Dial that back down to 19* of timing or so and you'll be fine.

Now, let's talk about boost pressure real quick. You shouldn't run more than 19psi on 93 octane.

The shop that told you that you're running way too much timing and too much boost for 93 octane is absolutely right! You're running on the ragged edge of burning down your engine.

Logans06

Established Member
I have a 3.5 upper pulley that I could put back on to step the boost back a notch. Thanks for the advice on the timing, I dont wanna buy a shortblock any time soon.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yep, to much timing. If you drive your car smart in the summer just put 15*'s in it and enjoy it. Smart as in no back to back runs nor getting a break in traffic and tromping on it. Then you could still have this tune for Race Gas and be ready for the track.

GodStang

Established Member
Wow ya thats A LOT for 93 both boost and timing. Most tuners that tune for longevity put 15*-17* for 93 Octane and no more than 18 psi.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Yea I would drop the timing to around 17 degrees and the boost to 18-19 lbs like the others have said. You could also try to run a octane booster like Torco so you can run more boost and timing.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Yea I would drop the timing to around 17 degrees and the boost to 18-19 lbs like the others have said. You could also try to run a octane booster like Torco so you can run more boost and timing.

I'd run 19psi and 19* of timing with 93 octane only (no torco, no octane booster, etc). I ran that tune for years. It'll make plenty of power and it's perfectly safe IMO. Just keep the A/F no leaner than 11.8:1.

Logans06

Established Member
The shop told me on the current tune with this much timing and boost, I should be running Turbo Blue, or 116 octane. I dont drive the car very often at all, but thanks for all of your opinions. How much will the 3.5" upper knock the boost down to if im runnin 21psi now on a 3" upper and 4" lower?

Users who are viewing this thread