Am I right or wrong??

John4cam

Established Member
Well today I heard some racket outside and looked out to notice a bobcat prepping an already gravel driveway for concrete. this is my next door neighbor's. It runs parallel to mine about 5 feet apart. I thought cool he's finaly getting it done, he's an older dude, one of those cheap ones.

Anyhow, they start forming it, and i start to realize they were sloping it towards mine!! I already have water issues because my DW runs downhill directly to my garage, where theres a 4 inch drain, hard rains give me a lil water in my garage, and the gameroom sits about an inch higher I end up going over and explaining my concerns. He told me I should have came over earlier, they already left and he would have to pay the excavator again, then he said he would have it done right, but I would have to sign a contract that if my house floods its not his fault, I just explained I can't take on anymore water!! Now he is pissed cause it's gonna cost more, He should have done it right the first time and he wouldnt be in this situation, Right?

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
Right and Wrong. Its his property he can do what he wants with it. But if he is a decent human being then he will fix it right.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's against some building code to drain your driveway onto a neighboring property. If he gives you shit, do research.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
seems to me like if he did that he would have to pay for damages right? I know the guy next door had a tree he would not cut and would not cut then it fell and killed my fence. He had to pay to have it all fixed. I know this is not the same just seems like he would have some responsibility to what happens if he knows about it prior to doing the work?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
They should have done it right. Unless he specifically told them to slope it like that, the crew should've known better and created a slope that would drain water away from any houses.

John4cam

Established Member
+1 but you said he was cheap so he got what he paid for.

Yeah, he has the exact same setup I have with his drivaway only worse, When I asked about it his wife came out and said your house has flooded in the past. I said thats why im over here, I cant take on anymore water. He is banking on a little storm drain in front of his garage but said he will get water in his garage. I couldnt believe he wouldnt spent the extra to get a good drain in there, what a cheap azz. His wifes only worried about getting sued over it, I dont wont to sue, just dont want the hassle of water issues. I know he and the contractor both knew what they were doing there, shedding water from his setup, thats what boils my blood. :beer:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
You could be a dick and build up some dirt or a brick wall between the two driveways. Then he'd have a lake in his driveway.

John4cam

Established Member
why not build up your yard to spend the money for something infront of your house? Something?

It's just a little strip of grass that runs between our driveway's. I was going to build a brick retaining wall in between, but I don't have the coin right now, been putting $$$ in other areas of the house, thanks for the suggestion though.

John4cam

Established Member
You could be a dick and build up some dirt or a brick wall between the two driveways. Then he'd have a lake in his driveway.

Yeah, but his DW sits about 6 inches higher than mine at the beggining, and about 3 feet higher closer to the house, wish I could take a pic so you could get a better idea.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
if he doesnt want to fix the slope tell him to atleast build a "curb" on the side that borders your property that way it stays in his driveway and drains to the street.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
YOUR RIGHT !!!
The lack of Common sence also known as = (STUCK ON STUPID) On the neighbor's behalf and the Monkey's that set up the forms...You have all the right to say something ..the reason he got pissed is because he knew he was in the wrong to begain with...If he does not fix it or it causes damage to your property then I would get ahold of building and zoneing dept...Good luck with the Cheap Bastard :shrug:

Last edited:

John4cam

Established Member
YOUR RIGHT !!!
The lack of Common sence also known as = (STUCK ON STUPID) On the neighbor's behalf and the Monkey's that set up the forms...You have all the right to say something ..the reason he got pissed is because he knew he was in the wrong to begain with...If he does not fix it or it causes damage to your property then I would get ahold of building and zoneing dept...Good luck with the Cheap Bastard :shrug:

Thanks man, guys this is formed, but not poured yet, I put a halt to it for the time being, I might try to get a township guy to come out and see what he thinks. His plan was to pour monday.

boosted306

Established Member
I am sure that your local laws will stand behind you if he doesn't comply. My city codes would have a fit with something like that. He should have taken that into consideration way before the excavation was in progress.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Is a building permit required in your town for this type of job?
I know it would be in my town.
It would also need to be displayed in the window of the house from the time the job commenced till the time the job was completed.
This would also mean that there would be inspections prior to the pouring of the concrete and sometimes during the pouring of the concrete.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Right and Wrong. Its his property he can do what he wants with it. But if he is a decent human being then he will fix it right.

you are incorrect. To put in a driveway in most places you need a building permit. You DO have the right to do what you want on your own property until it affects your neighbors. if his neighbor puts in a driveway that causes the OPs garage and game room to flood worse than it does now, the neighbor will be liable for damages.

IF I were the op I would remind my neighbor that I could have waited till he had the damn thing poured and then sued him over it.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
Is a building permit required in your town for this type of job?
I know it would be in my town.
It would also need to be displayed in the window of the house from the time the job commenced till the time the job was completed.
This would also mean that there would be inspections prior to the pouring of the concrete and sometimes during the pouring of the concrete.

+ 1 :beer: end of story

SVT4ME

Established Member
+ 1 :beer: end of story

I agree as well but I would also let the company know that did the work I would hold them liable too. Take a picture of them doing the work with their company logo in plain sight. Just cause it's your property, you still must control your water run off. I would call your local building department ASAP and get the work stopped now. Suing takes forever and eats up a lot of time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread